Had a lovely day in America today

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
101_0680.jpg101_0679.jpg
Ballvalve, I was thinking of you yesterday watching a ski movie. This was in Utah, and they would take their guns and skis up to the mountains and if the weather was too bad for skiing, they would shoot the crap out of everything they could see. One of the guys had an assault rifle. We were laughing pretty good in the theater.

Thanks for the thought, but no assault rifles for me, and the greatest respect when using any sort of them. For the people around and the enviroment. My shoot em up days ended years ago when as a kid dad caught us shooting a treeful of sparrows - made us pluck, cook and eat them all. I might shoot a quail once a year nowadays, but I have always been repulsed about kiling an animal larger than myself, and especially by those that kill them for a 'mount'. Hogs and sausages are another story.

And hardly a chance to break a leg when target practicing.

Lest you consider me a wildman, my real hobby is antiquarian book collecting, 1500's and forward. Heavy on mining history and techniques. I'll try and post a picture of my library. Built everything you see too, except the sofa.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I, for one, and Bob, for another, are still waiting for a picture of the sausage(s) Ballvalve.

But nice library. America was still a colony when some of those books were written.

The joists look a little flimsy though. Hope they're not load bearing.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
yeah, but he didn't notice the missing brick above the header, lol. no eye for detail...

REALLY, nice Ballsvalve...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
yeah, but he didn't notice the missing brick above the header, lol. no eye for detail...

REALLY, nice Ballsvalve...
No header needed over that massive arch; I think that's just a little mortar smear and brick at the top of the arch. I built a nice arched fireplace years ago, but it did not require as much support form as this one!
Arches have tremendous strength; the Romans used them all over the place.

Cookie

Reaction score
Jeez, Bob, you gave it away, LOL...

It is just really nice isn't it? A comfy looking place to sit with a (american ) tea, and a good book, :)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I hope there isn't an aquarium sitting on the floor above those joists.

Probably just American growth too. Not the strong stuff imported from Europe.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
October 2011 MISC 103.jpgOctober 2011 MISC 105.jpg
I, for one, and Bob, for another, are still waiting for a picture of the sausage(s) Ballvalve.

But nice library. America was still a colony when some of those books were written.

The joists look a little flimsy though. Hope they're not load bearing.

Those precious beams were salvaged from a 1800's sawmill floor and are about 7x14". The span is actually less than 16 feet as I recall. and the next [2] floors up are exactly the same, but a dining room and bedroom with more of the beams. 2" concrete floors poured OVER them for radiant and fire protection. I would have used English oak, but its all in guarded parks now, and sunk in oceans after raping and pillaging the earth.

The beams are load bearing, and the "decking" over them is 2"x24" sugar pine milled off the land.

Good eye Cookie. That arch is a rather interesting construction - made a huge form on a slab, then made the window and door unit to fit just inside it. [ made the laminations deep enough so that I ended up witha second 'free' window after bandsawing it out - That would have made a good tv show] Then moved it to the site and erected it in one piece. I think its 16" deep. Bricked up the outer faces and filled the inside with massive amounts of steel. That missing part is to be a marble "keystone" with inscription. Never got to it.

Had to do it that way to survive the next earthquake. Had quite a few already.

The upper floors beams were done as coffered- a tribute to one great English technique.

Added pics: Looks like it would hold an aquarium, eh mate? And the staircase, which is all stucco, should bring you right home Ian. Scratched the stucco until midnight with retarders and 2 or 3 bottles of wine.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
And by the way, Ian, the sausages are hanging on your forum for a long time now. I'll see if I can find them and report back.

"things you dont see in america- page 2"

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Nice, very nice.
The inscription, can you say what it would be, I understand it you don't want, if it is private.

Cookie

Reaction score
I had my eye on a log cabin years ago near where I live. It was in rough condition, because it was the oldest log cabin here in my county. Everything about it was original, the chinking, the way the wood was rounded, the variance of the floors, oh, I loved it. Loved it. It sat on a wonderful 2 acres of land, and the barn was grandfathered in, and the wood was lovely. Another outside structure, to me was of even greater interest. And, anyone who knows me, knows why. Hemingway did some of his work from it.

I could envision a beauty of it that my husband couldn't see. He thought we would look like the Clampetts and he was more of a contemporary person, whereas, I value and love the old. I even brought in my relative, ( one i like) who is a huge contractor, and he checked out the foundation and all, giving it a thumps up, letting me know, what would need fixed, like the heating, and, giving me a cost estimate.

The downstairs was beautiful.

The owner inherited it and showed me the data on it all. How, one her great grandmothers was first woman sheriff in this county, and it was hers. I sat for hours with this woman reading and looking over all the documented history. She was a librarian. One could had called this woman eccentric, but, I found her very likeable. She had a baby grand piano she was willing to leave along, with... and, I lost my breath when she said this, " all my books." She had a wonderful library. Sure, they were stacked everywhere but, that didn't matter to me.

I went numb.

Sure, both inside and outside needed work. No doubt about that. But, she only wanted 76,000 back then, about 20 years, and it was affordable, if not to me, cheap.

I would ride past that house and in time, someone bought it and gutted it. They didn't realize the value in the wood of the barn for that laid in a chopped up pile of debris, and, where Hemmingway worked, is only left now, in my mind's eye.

What a loss.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Many Americans are brainless when it comes to construction and deconstruction. We toss our history for plastic and foam houses. The American Brass factory, 20 acres of red brick walls, 20' tall, went right to the landfill back in the 80's in Wisconsin.

And Ian, be sure to go back to page 2 and see my aquarium holders. Made those too.

Cookie

Reaction score
There is an article including a photo on Yahoo about what a house will look like in I think, they said, 2035. It is a far cry to me, what is comfy and cozy. Some people like the look of white, clean, sterile environment. Oh, I don't. I love the brick, the carpentry, plaster instead of all dry wall, I like something which fits like an ole' shoe. What you did is really perfect. I like the stacks with the ladder. I was truly heart broken over that house, that log cabin. I had designs for it, and knew I could make it something so beautiful and so rare, I would had sent photos to a magazine for log cabin homes.

I won't even tell you what it increased in value. Which is besides the point because, they took down that barn. Threw the wood away. I stopped the car and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Then, they put up one of those fab mod garages.

I was the perfect buyer for that place. Oh, well. I don't even like to think about it.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
You are speaking of the "Ikea culture" the New Yorker magazine had a great article last week about the sterility and disposability of furniture and household items that are now being created.

I built a house that slapped that culture in the face, and like my family from East Europe, built for the next three generations - at least- their philosophy is wood inside, and stone, stucco and cement outside. Considering that 30 homes around me burned in the fire 3 years ago, and Fox and ABC did special filming here as the only one to survive, I would say its a damn good tradition.

Funny, but the 15 or so to rebuild around me have houses even more likely to burn in the next fire.

But I love log houses and always wanted to build one. I have the logs and the equipment, but my back is starting to feel the effects of a life of over zealous 12 hour days of work.

As to the house, remember hindsight is 20/20 and I have a hundred such memories.

Cookie

Reaction score
I laughed when you said about hindsight being 20/20 for, yes, that is true. I got alot of those myself. Usually, where it regards relatives, and, then I give them the leeway for the anguish is sometimes, too much to bear. :)

My love of real estate started because I love houses. That is the reason I started in it. I grew up in a neighborhood where the homes were old and most of them today, by the way, are standing quite well. It had taken time to build those houses. Brick by brick by brick. Today, the workmanship isn't there for the most part. I see houses where, I see a crack and think, yeah it could be settlement but, I know really in most cases it was because the home was thrown up overnight. Mistakes. Mistakes. Some are gorgeous but, you know, the quality materials weren't used, and the quality of work isn't going to be there. I see things that people wrote off on, and I wonder how that passed, for things weren't tied off, or connections weren't made, or even simple things like...um, the carpeting isn't secured. It is sad to see such prices being charged for homes I stand and stare at and think, how many years this home will last. I check the foundations and wonder a few things and shake my head walking away. I can't say anything to potential buyers. So, I stand and stare and hope someone notices.

It is what it is I guess. But, it is nice to see a home that you just know, will be around a long long time without showing its wear in but a few years. A solid house.

I love the character that is usually involved. And... the detail of the work. And, yes, I do have an eye for detail. I will notice dove tailed joints when no one else will. I love the lighting in your place. What I can't stand is when you walk into a house, walk into the big kitchen and there are 20 recessed lights. I feel like I am in a spaceship ready to take off.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
View attachment 14191View attachment 14192

Those precious beams were salvaged from a 1800's sawmill floor and are about 7x14". The span is actually less than 16 feet as I recall. and the next [2] floors up are exactly the same, but a dining room and bedroom with more of the beams. 2" concrete floors poured OVER them for radiant and fire protection. I would have used English oak, but its all in guarded parks now, and sunk in oceans after raping and pillaging the earth.

The beams are load bearing, and the "decking" over them is 2"x24" sugar pine milled off the land.

Good eye Cookie. That arch is a rather interesting construction - made a huge form on a slab, then made the window and door unit to fit just inside it. [ made the laminations deep enough so that I ended up witha second 'free' window after bandsawing it out - That would have made a good tv show] Then moved it to the site and erected it in one piece. I think its 16" deep. Bricked up the outer faces and filled the inside with massive amounts of steel. That missing part is to be a marble "keystone" with inscription. Never got to it.

Had to do it that way to survive the next earthquake. Had quite a few already.

The upper floors beams were done as coffered- a tribute to one great English technique.

Added pics: Looks like it would hold an aquarium, eh mate? And the staircase, which is all stucco, should bring you right home Ian. Scratched the stucco until midnight with retarders and 2 or 3 bottles of wine.

Those joist hangers are works of art too; love 'em!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks