Insulation ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew21

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a question.

Is the insulation here ok? ( I did fill in the little void on the left hand side by the window..made sure of it!) This wall is against the outside wall and I just wanted to make sure that the insulation is ok before I screw it in and seal it up with Redgard.

I'm worried that if I have to replace the shower valve that the torch will make the insulation go up in flames. But then again, I'm afraid of the pipes bursting behind the walls.

p.s. I asked this on another forum. Sorry, just want opinions =)

IMG_0082.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If your in a cold climate, I wouldn't have put the valve on the outside wall. You could have used a right hand tub. It is a nice looking installation though.

John

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
It should be fine. Cutting down air flow is most important on an installation like this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You did NOT have to insulate the shower and tub spout lines because they are not "full of water" once the faucet is turned off. If you ever have to change the valve the wall insulation will probably be the least of your problems. If the water lines NEEDED insulation, then the elbows would also need it.

TJanak

Reaction score
If your fiberglass batt insulation is between the pipes and the outside wall (as it looks) I would not insulate the pipes. You want warm air from the interior to get to the pipes to keep them warm. As it is now you are blocking heat from the house from getting to the pipes.

Kinda like when the say to open kitchen cabinets under the sink to keep the water lines from freezing.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never put pipes on an outside wall. Insulation does not create heat. Given time and cold enough temperatures the pipes and valves will freeze.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

Just to let you know the plumbing was there already. I was not going to move it because that would be too much work.

Anyway, thanks again and tile on!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks