1/4 Line - Soldered fitting.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
On the supply side, I plan top run a T off 1/2 Copper to run a line to a icemaker outlet location.
However, the icemaker location is on the opposite side of the wall and the wall adjacent to it us just *furred out*.
I cannot fit a 1/2 pipe in that wall nor notch it. However, I can fit the 1/4 copper in this wall.

I'd prefer a soldered connection from the T *outlet side* all the the back back to the Icemaker Outlet (icemaker outlet generally has 1/2" solder F).

Otherwise, I may just solder a stub off the T, put a icemaker valve angle stop, then run the copper off that - behind the walls and just figure it out from there (strap copper to stud and then couple it) with a long SS icemaker line.

Any ideas or suggestions..

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My ice maker is connected much the same as your will be. I sweat a 1/2" ball valve into a tee on the supply line then use compression adapters to go to 1/4" copper. Recently there was a post where instead of the ball valve, they used an angle stop with a compression fitting for the 1/4" copper. This may be a simpler way that what I did, but either way will work. Do not use the saddle valve sold with the copper tubing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can't put an icemaker box there, then using a compression stop off the 1/2" copper is a good way to go.
They make stops that are 1/2" (5/8" od) copper comp x 1/4" OD comp

The braided supply line at the end, connected with a 1/4 OD comp union is good too.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you can access a valve at the "T", then put the control valve there, then remove the IM box valve and run the 1/4" IM line thru that opening with sufficient "extra" to connect the flexible line with a compression union/coupling.

Wraujr

Reaction score
In my case, 1/4" tubing "fished" thru to drywall opening for icemaker box.
Icemake box has shut off valve.
Once I connnect 1/4" tube to IM shutoff, IM box inserted into drywall opening.
I assume that makes the connection between IM shutoff and 1/4" tubing "concealed" (i.e. not visible)
I am told that compression fitting are to remain visible... Don't want anything like SharkBite.
How does one go about soldering 1/4" to IM shutoff valve??
Are there copper transitions between shutoff valve and tubing??
I assume soldering tubing is OK??

Chefwong

Reaction score
I ended up doing it as planned. Ran the T right behind a access panel , and put a stub + icemaker ball valve on it. Picked up some 1/4 copper, rough it behind the furred out wall I had and just secured it back out to a small hole I made in the sheetrock. I plan to just couple it with a flex line and call it a day.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Pics for review.
Nail Plates + some insulation by the area where metal might touch it.
It's tight......where the furring studs are. Barely a hair between the cooper + concrete wall

Okay to have it run this way. I just plan to stub out the copper and the couple it to a SS flex hose.

ice01.jpg

ice02.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks