Old Lead Pipe Condition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
What's the likely condition of an old lead pipe that has been in service for 90 years? I don't expect it to corrode like a galvanized line. Maybe just some scale and hard water deposits?

Are friction losses through lead pipe similar to that of copper pipe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually all that happens is that it develops a patina inside which isolates the lead from the water. However, I have had tree roots grow over, around, or next to lead pipes and collapse them.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Good to know. If that happened here, I bet they'd dig my yard up looking for the problem before they dig up their street!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that happened there would be water at the street, but NOT in your house. When it happens, just like sewer lines, if you look for the LARGEST tree in the area, the pipe will be EXACTLY beneath it as if they used a surveyer's instument to plant the tree.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Just not good to drink from them after sitting awhile.

If so, it would be because the water has gone stale. The water does NOT touch the lead once it develops its patina. The same applies to any solder which is "visible" inside a joint once the water contacts it. Lead in water can come from many sources, but it is very unlikely to have ever come from using lead bearing solder.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Lead does not become coated with certain water types, and hundreds of studies show large concentration of lead in older homes with lead services in that first morning glass of water, or pot of coffee.

Almost every county in the US has a program to remove all lead services, and they didnt do it without reason. I would agree that the solder is a pretty iffy issue, but if its not NEEDED, why use it?

Makes the best flashing, however.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Yes, some water is more corrosive than others depending on its treatment (softening, added chemicals, pH, etc). I won't say that it's likely, but high concentrations of lead could come from lead pipes.

About digging up the yard...there wouldn't be anyway to test for water at the street side. No faucet out there. Symptom would just be no water at home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks