Ground rod, one or more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Charp

Reaction score
With ground rods is more the merrier or does that cause problems? I need to do some digging around the main panel at the street to see what's there and if there's a Ufer down at the house I don't know if I can find it. Is it advisable to add a ground rod at the house if there's already one at the street? Also, it's very dry here half the year which I've heard reduces the effectiveness of the ground.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It can take multiple ground rods to effect a decent ground plane. Not sure of the requirements.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
from what i've read, you may need two ground rods 6' or 8' apart unless the first one measures below 25 ohms. I had my panel upgraded and the electrician installed two rods and bonded them to the equipment ground in the panel and the 3/4" copper water pipe that services the house.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
250.56 requires that there be 25 ohms or it must be two rods. If it is dry then two rods is the rule.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks