Sink drain from wall is 2" ABS. What to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spaceball1

Reaction score
I'm putting in a sink for us to use temporarily in the kitchen while I build our cabinets and wait on granite.

I bought a cheap laundry sink that has a 1-1/2" threaded drain. I also bought 1-1/2" slip joint P-trap kit. (Not my favorite, but that's what's usually installed, right?)

However, the drain line (which had an old P-trap that the previous owner attempted to seal up with copious amounts of caulk, lolz) coming out of the wall is 2" ABS. After removing the old P-trap, all I have left is the horizontal line coming out of the wall and a 90 pointing downwards with what looks like a slip joint nut. What's the best way to hook up this temporary sink? Keep in mind that I'm eventually going to put in a regular SS kitchen sink with disposal and dishwasher.

Here's a pic of what's coming out of the wall:
IMAG0106.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
What is the problem here?

You could use a 2" to 1.5" reducer bushing glued into the existing trap arm.

You could buy a 2" trap, and adapt to whatever size tail-piece your drain kit came with.

Either way you're going to lose the existing down turn from the old trap...

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Something to consider is how deep the sink will be. Many new sinks are deeper than the old standard and now would be the time to lower the connection in the wall if required.

Spaceball1

Reaction score
What is the problem here?

You could use a 2" to 1.5" reducer bushing glued into the existing trap arm.

You could buy a 2" trap, and adapt to whatever size tail-piece your drain kit came with.

Either way you're going to lose the existing down turn from the old trap...
I thought of putting in a reducer on the horizontal (that's the trap arm, right?) portion of the pipe, but I wanted to make sure that's up to snuff.

Also, where (and how) should I switch from PVC to ABS?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like you have a standard 1.5" ABS pipe, which measures about 2" on the OD.

I glue on an ABS trap adapter with a slip joint fitting on the end for the p-trap.
If you have a disposer, the drain can be 19" from the floor. A deep sink may require the drain to be 16" from the floor.

Spaceball1

Reaction score
So one of these three should work, right?

big orange store .com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=ABS+trap+adapter&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ntpc=1&Ntpr=1

Looks like i just cut the trap arm & glue this adapter on, then I'm good to go with the thin-walled 1-1/2" slip joint stuff. Correct?

Last edited:

Jastori

Reaction score
Since your pipe is ABS, make sure you get an ABS trap adaptor (not PVC) and use the proper cement. Yes, after the trap adaptor, the other connections can be slip joint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks