Garbage disposal & drainage

Users who are viewing this thread

BKBethesda

Reaction score
I recently installed a new sink which is deeper than my previous sink. My Badger 5 garbage disposal now sits lower in the base cabinet and the horizontal portion of the drainage line coming out of the garbage disposal is now just about level with the main drainage line coming out of the wall on the other side of the trap. That said, would this cause the water to back up in the disposal? If yes, is there a shorter drainage flange available to lift the disposal closer to the sink? How much higher should the drainage line coming off the disposal be than the main drainage line coming out of the wall? Thanks in advance...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Neither the arm coming out of the disposal nor the one out of the trap to the wall can go uphill...they should have a negative, or downhill slope. If either has a positive (or uphill) slope, you need to move the connection in the wall to be lower so they can go downhill.

BKBethesda

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The drainage line coming out of the wall has a slight slope towards the wall (1/8 tilt). I assuming in the grand scheme of the slope, the drainage line from the disposal has to be higher than plumb with the drainage line from the wall? Also, the line coming from the wall is immovable (high rise condo building). Do you have any other suggestions? If I could just get the flange that holds the disposal 1/2 inch closer to the sink I think this would reslove my problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

There is only ONE drain connection flange, so that is not an option. We would need a picture of the sink's drain lines to tell if there is an easy solution to your problem.

BKBethesda

Reaction score
There is only ONE drain connection flange, so that is not an option. We would need a picture of the sink's drain lines to tell if there is an easy solution to your problem.

Ok, thanks, I will post a pic in a.m. Much appreciated.

BKBethesda

Reaction score
Many times with a deeper sink, the drain at the wall will need to be lowered.
Sometimes as much as 3"

I wish I could but the drain line extends from a chase that the high rise condo building assoc told me I could not touch.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; wish I could but the drain line extends from a chase that the high rise condo building assoc told me I could not touch.

That is a common restriction, and even if you could "touch it" there is a good chance it would affect one or more of the other units. Plus, the chase is probably a "fire rated" structure that would be compromised if you worked on it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can't lower the connection in the wall, you may need to find a shallower sink. Pictures would definately help identify possibilities.

BKBethesda

Reaction score
Okay, having trouble uploading pics (Web site error). Will work on trying to upload via URL. Terry, I can email you the pics if you, as administrator, can upload them.

Sure, I can upload them
The pictures need to be 800 pixels or less. I resize them with a photo editing program.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKBethesda

Reaction score
Okay, having trouble uploading pics (Web site error). Will work on trying to upload via URL. Terry, I can email you the pics if you, as administrator, can upload them.

quote; wish I could but the drain line extends from a chase that the high rise condo building assoc told me I could not touch.

That is a common restriction, and even if you could "touch it" there is a good chance it would affect one or more of the other units. Plus, the chase is probably a "fire rated" structure that would be compromised if you worked on it.

Ok, not sure if my pic was 800 pixels or not so I made the pic my avatar. as you can see the black drain line coming out of the disposal is slightly higher than the main drain line (on the right) going into the wall. I'm guessing that the differential is not enough to drain properly? Ignore that my "helper" ran the faucet flex line under the drain pipe, I will have to reset that : ).

Last edited:

BKBethesda

Reaction score

Many times with a deeper sink, the drain at the wall will need to be lowered.
Sometimes as much as 3"

Ok, not sure if my pic was 800 pixels or not so I made the pic my avatar. as you can see the black drain line coming out of the disposal is slightly higher than the main drain line (on the right) going into the wall. I'm guessing that the differential is not enough to drain properly? Also, ignore the fact that my "helper" ran the hose under the drain, I will reset that

BKBethesda

Reaction score
Terry,
I uploaded the picture as my avatar so to show the board the configuration. See my post above for a more detailed explanation. Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Posting the same info several times won't help. We will need to see one good picture of all the drain piping, or even better, 2-3 pictures from different angles.

From what we can see, you will need to switch to a sink that is not as deep.

BKBethesda

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and apologies for the multiple posts, I had trouble trying to respond to multiple forum participants. I asked the site moderator to upload my photos so I'll get back to you once they are available. Unfortunately, the sink sits between the sink base cabinet and a granite counter so I don't think that is an option. The current measurement from the bottom of my sink to the middle of the garbage disposal drain pipe is 7 inches. That said, I think there are some other disposals out there that have a less than 6 inch length for the same measurement that I will look into. I think that is my only option other than taking the disposal out of the equation alltogether.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
as you can see the black drain line coming out of the disposal is slightly higher than the main drain line (on the right) going into the wall. I'm guessing that the differential is not enough to drain properly?
It is sloped toward the drain. Are you just second guessing or does it not drain properly?

BKBethesda

Reaction score
It is sloped toward the drain. Are you just second guessing or does it not drain properly?

The black drain line is sloped towards the drain. It does not drain properly as it backs up if water is running for 10 seconds or so. The method used to clear the back up is to turn on the garbage disposal. I think the black drain line coming out of the disposal needs to be about an inch higher but I'm no plumbing expert.

Attachments

• knapp_2.jpg
    knapp_2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 901
  • knapp_11.jpg
    knapp_11.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 877
  • knapp_12.jpg
    knapp_12.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 852
  • knapp_1.jpg
    knapp_1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 875
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks