SPRAGUE b-31R NATURAL GAS REGULATOR

Users who are viewing this thread

reevesjo

Reaction score
Newbie here, but have a problem. Doing some re-piping on a nautral gas fired boiler in a radiant heating system my dad installed 50 years ago. I am fortunate to have a gas well on the property that produces 20 psi at the well. Just inside the home is this old, old Sprague regulator 3/4" NPT fittings. I want to replace it with 1" version. I am running new 1 1/4" polyethelene from the well to the house.
1. Do I even need a pressure regulator with this low 20# pressure? There is plenty of volume. We never run out...yet.
2. Is this Sprague the one to use?
3. How do I set the pressures, with a psi gauge or manometer?

The boiler is 140,000 input; 112,000 output
40 gallon hot water heater
kitchen gas range
small space heater in one room

Thanks for any advice, Joe

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Appliances are designed for around 0.5 psi...20psi will damage things, and likely blow up the house.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 inch of water [4 °C] = 0.036 pound/square inch

Nat gas appliances typically run on 7in.wc

reevesjo

Reaction score
Dead serious, not kidding.

Thanks Tom Sawyer. 7 inch water column is what I wanted to hear (or read). I can handle it with that info.
Joe

1 inch of water [4 °C] = 0.036 pound/square inch

Nat gas appliances typically run on 7in.wc

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks