lake water supply setup. in Ct lake

Users who are viewing this thread

tooks007

Reaction score
Hi i have been handed down a nice cottage in north stonnington, Ct and i am trying to get a proper setup for the water supply.The lake is long pond, and the water line has been buried quiet a few feet underground and it has heat line installed previously..the pump and pressure tank where taken from under the cottage where i assume they where.I need to know what size pump,pressure tank,and if they should be under the cottage.there is a nice setup for the cistren tank and i guess the pump and etc where there.please any help with the proper water supply setup for this lake would be greatly appreciated.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
We would need much more information before we can make a proper determination. Is there a check valve on the line in the lake? What's the elevation from the lake level to the cottage pump area? What's the water to be used for. . . drinking, house use or irrigation? How many bed and bath rooms?

tooks007

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your reply,yes there is a check valve on the lake end of the water line, and there is one bathroom small kitchen and dinning,and fireplace room.The water will only be used to bath in and wash dishes outside use as well.the elevation im not to sure of back yard walks down in a slight slope not to slanted sorry for the lack of elevation .my farther has a bigger cottage across the street that has alot higher elevation and i know he uses a 1/2 hp pump,pressure tank,check valve online in lake,hot water heater and he gets good pressure.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
To keep it simple, I'd set it up simular to your fathers! A 1/2 or 3/4 hp shallow well jet pump and a small 5 gallon pressure tank should be enough. Be sure to install a tank and possibly a Cycle Stop Valve.

tooks007

Reaction score
thanks alot for your reponse but i have a question for you. In combination with the pump,5 gallon pressure tank,check valve,hot water heater,filtration for water, what is the( tank and possibly a Cycle Stop Valve) for? And what kind of tank are you referring to. Again thank you for your help it has been very beneficial to me.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A 5 gallon tank provides just over a gallon of drawdown. The CSV is almost a must with so small a tank. It provides constant pressure and prevents the pump from short cycling.

tooks007

Reaction score
Been a while but need to ask another question my cottage will supply water for 3 to 4 people and i want to make sure that i can have enough water pressure and hot water to give bathing water and kitchen water to use daily. and possibly can u help with a filtration setup ? my parents have used this lake water to bath with and use a basic filter inline setup from lowes and have never had skin problems or gotten sick but the water has a slight smell and can have a little dirt color , very light though.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
If the pump supplies enough water you should be OK with a small tank if you install a CSV. Install a filtration setup if you like but be sure it's installed after the pressure switch. If not a plugged filter can damage your pump.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before you pump anything from the lake you need to check in with the local and possibly the state plumbing board and find out if using lake water is allowed. Code says that water supplied to fixtures has to be potable. In other words, fit for human consumption (no bugs and bacteria's) Very often the level of coli-form bacteria is way beyond what is considered safe. Usually due to ducks and geese crapping in the water but there are other harmful blooms that occur as well.

tooks007

Reaction score
Hi how are you again i have another question here I'm looking for a good filtration setup to add on after the pressure switch ? new to this whole water setup

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I would do a series of whole house filters with decreasing microns, then a UV light for bacteria. For a part time cabin on a little jet pump, its quite a stretch to reccommend a cycle stop valve.

Go see the neighbors and see what they do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks