Toilet drain clearance

Users who are viewing this thread

rcoatsie

Reaction score
Hello, ..... I am going to install a toilet above a concrete slab, and run the drain over to the cellar (about 5' of run). I have about 9.5" of space between the bottom of the toilet and the concrete slab. Should I have enough clearance for the correct drain slope ?? I can shorten the 5' run if I have to.

Thanks ........ Robin

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Are you saying that you are putting the toilet on a platform (2x10 joists)? I wonder since you say "I have about 9.5" of space between the bottom of the toilet and the concrete slab."

Typically, you figure a slope of 1/4" per ft. You won't have the full 9.5" to work with as there needs to be room for the closet bend/elbow below the toilet.

Please provide some additional details of the install so we can get a better idea of what you are actually dealing with.

rcoatsie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The slab area was part of an attached garage. It is a raised area now, but after we get this bathroom figured out, we are going to be pouring more concrete (radiant floor) around this area. They are 2x8 joists, that have been shimmed off the concrete with some pressure treated wood, so yes basically 2x10s. The bend elbow depth dimension is what I need, along with the 1/4" per ft ??

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Correct, but it sounds like you have plenty of room. You'll only need about 1.25" of slope over that 5', so you have plenty of room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks