Tank Tee Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

BS

Reaction score
I have a Well-X-Trol WX-202 pressure tank for my well water system that probably is as old as the house: 13 years. Pressure-wise, it is working well.

A few weeks ago I replaced the tank tee because the outlet of the old one had developed a crack and was leaking. I used Rectorseal 5 pipe dope and tightened it snugly to the elbow (which I think is galvanized) under the tank. Immediately there was a small drip at the elbow but it was impossible to see exactly where it was coming from. An orange stain also formed on the concrete block beneath that joint. At first I thought this might be residue from the pipe dope but I now think it might have been rust.

The leak slowly got worse and this morning water was gurgling out whenever the pump went on. So I took the tee out and reinstalled it, this time putting a few wraps of teflon tape on first and then adding pipe dope. I was also able to get one more turn on the connection. To my surprise it's still dripping. I've been careful when removing and tightening the tees to stabilize the elbow to prevent damage to the elbow's connection to the tank. The underside of the tank is in good condition though there is a little rust near the elbow.

I'm not sure I could, but do I need to try to get another turn out of the tee? Is it common for the elbow to leak at its connection to the tank? Any advice on how to stop this leak?

Thanks.

- Bernie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks