Tape / dope on braided supply lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
I thought I'd seen on the forum to NOT put pipe dope and/or plumbers tape on braided supply line connections... but now I don't find the reference. In any case... do these connections take dope or tape? My faucet instructions call for it but I've installed them w/o leaks and without tape or dope previously.

What is best practice on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Many of the braided hoses now have O-ring seals and as such don't need to be doped. If they use a metal to metal seal, a little pipe dope is fine but I would never use tape. IMHO tape is for sealing threads and on those hoses the threads don't do the sealing.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
If it's a compression fitting, you don't use tape or dope.

The compression ring/ferrule seals the joint, over tightening is also bad news.

Tape and dope are for TAPERED threads, where the threads do the sealing.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Braided supply lines normally have a rubber gasket seal...tape would intefere. Some brands use a 'bullnose' which simulates an actual compression ring. It is for metal-to-metal seal, and again, NOT tape or dope

fluidmaster-wc-16.jpg

No tape or dope.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Some brands use a 'bullnose' which simulates an actual compression ring. It is for metal-to-metal seal, and again, NOT tape or dope
THe problem with the bullnose is that it is of a much harder metal and so does not truly simulate a compression ring, which as the name implies, compresses to seal not only against the tube but also against the machined tapers. Any imperfection in the machined faces can cause a leak.

And yet plumbers install them all the time without dope

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks