Lessons in English

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
America in ten years will be a very different place. I hope it will still be here.

We don't charge for our trolleys because the ACLU would take up a suit for depriving the homeless of living spaces. Someone designed a fold out top and tent for carts just for the guys living near the overpass.

He may be doing quite a business in the coming years.

Choose your overpass carefully, when the next Madrid quake hits the East coast, your overpass will likely be a rubble heap.

Pipehacker

Reaction score
[
QUOTE=ballvalve;314698]We don't charge for our trolleys because the ACLU would take up a suit for depriving the homeless of living spaces. Someone designed a fold out top and tent for carts just for the guys living near the overpass.

I believe that if many of these homeless would have had the initiative to get a job pushing a grocery trolley to a customer's car when they were 14 (or if their parent/parents made them do so) that they would not be living out of one when they were 40. I greatly admire the grocery stores which apparently feel the same way and offer these jobs.

Cookie

Reaction score
and, I am tired of having to hear, push one for Spanish, two for English...
Then, I push it, then, I hear it repeated in Spanish.

The same with the ATM's. I got a selection of 5 languages. Once, I pushed the wrong button just to see the results, I think it was Mandarin Chinese, and, I couldn't get out of it. Try it!

The cars were beeping behind me, one man yelling out his window at me, in none the less, SPANISH! I am looking at Chinese, getting yelled in Spanish, but, I was swearing to myself in English.

I would had made my dad proud, for I can swear in at least 11 languages. :)

but, I have a relative who asks, " do you have to swear?"
Yehss, si, oui, ja, sim, ken, sea, jes, hai, ndyio, gee, Oo, shi, areh, yaw, and lastly, aye!

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
and, I am tired of having to hear, push one for Spanish, two for English...
Then, I push it, then, I hear it repeated in Spanish.

The same with the ATM's. I got a selection of 5 languages. Once, I pushed the wrong button just to see the results, I think it was Mandarin Chinese, and, I couldn't get out of it. Try it!

The cars were beeping behind me, one man yelling out his window at me, in none the less, SPANISH! I am looking at Chinese, getting yelled in Spanish, but, I was swearing to myself in English.

I would had made my dad proud, for I can swear in at least 11 languages. :)

but, I have a relative who asks, " do you have to swear?"
Yehss, si, oui, ja, sim, ken, sea, jes, hai, ndyio, gee, Oo, shi, areh, yaw, and lastly, aye!

C'est tres heureaux mon ami

pardon, drole

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Je me considere chanceux et heureux dans la plupart des cas, mais pas tout. La ou je me trouve pour etre malheureux, je juste fais la plupart et l'appelle bonne. Rien n'est jamais parfait, excepte le mon jurez les mots en francais. :)

Ballvalve

Reaction score
gasoline taxes per state plus Federal tax of 18 cents per gallon as shown: www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

It shows California at 18 cents and Nevada at 27 cents. Yet when I go to Nevada for desert camping and ghost towning, gas is automatically 10 cents per gallon cheaper in Nevada [much farther from any refinery]

So that must not be all of the story.

Ballvalve

Reaction score

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
;)
Je me considere chanceux et heureux dans la plupart des cas, mais pas tout. La ou je me trouve pour etre malheureux, je juste fais la plupart et l'appelle bonne. Rien n'est jamais parfait, excepte le mon jurez les mots en francais.

It is what it is. All we can do is make the best of what we are dealt. Votre français est bien meilleure que la mienne j'il étudie en Junior High, a obtenu un 93 sur le test de NY État régents, mais n'a jamais vraiment eu la chance de l'utiliser. Your French is much better than mine I studied it in Junior High, got a 93 on the NY State Regents test, but never really got a chance to use it.:)

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Life alternates between Joie de vivre and ennui. And then we die.

The Czechs have a most beautiful word, Litost, Milan Kundera wrote quite a bit about it, and no language has a comparitive phrase with such sad nuance to it. Czech has elements of romance and sadness, that it can make French look like a african language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Laughter_and_Forgetting

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Litost [Lee' - toast]

And finally, one that can be insantly translated into French, with a detailed explanation. I am afraid that not many will appreciate or be interested in this magical insight into human nature.

http://translate.google.com/transla...7gEwCQ&prev=/search?q=litost&hl=en&prmd=imvns

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This all went a bit mad yesterday, didn't it?

I still feel uncomfortable with this notion of illegal immigrants.

In 1776 you were all illegal. And tax hoppers to boot.

And now you're starting to whinge about exactly the same things as the English did when you stole the King's land.

Yes, you were here first. But the English were here before you. And the Indians before them.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I cheated. I used Babel. :)
Although, I studied french in high school 4 long years. Kind of hard to remember, maybe, we should push the "french" buttons on the ATM. A refresher course so to speak.

;)

It is what it is. All we can do is make the best of what we are dealt. Votre français est bien meilleure que la mienne j'il étudie en Junior High, a obtenu un 93 sur le test de NY État régents, mais n'a jamais vraiment eu la chance de l'utiliser. Your French is much better than mine I studied it in Junior High, got a 93 on the NY State Regents test, but never really got a chance to use it.:)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Hola, si.
here is a picture of a new statue that is in a town, where my dad grew up. It is beautiful the statue is, not the small town itself, (it is runned down) but the statue, overlooks the city and its river. You can see the city in the background.
http://www.photodom.com/photo/2223647
I was standing in a store, a kind of offbeat stoe a couple of years ago with a girlfriend, she wanted to buy healing stones, and, the owner's friend, an old woman came over to me, saying, " you are a beautiful squaw, lovely cheek bones and hair" and started to touch me, my face, my hair and I started to pull away. lol. But, the weirdest thing she did do, which was so strange, was she started to say ( and you cannot tell by looking at me at all, at least not now or back then) " you are sick...and, started to touch me again, lol. But, this was so strange because she said, " your arm, your neck, your chest" and, I stood there while she stopped touching me, ( thankfully) but, now was gliding her hands over me, with like air between us, saying, " you are so sick" and, started to cry, saying, " you are a strong squaw" but, one so sick. What was weird was, it is my arm, my neck and my chest. She continued gliding her hands over me, and stopped at my ankle, looking up at me, saying, " it is here" and, she was right. I had long pants on, she couldn't see the surgery scars on my ankle so, no way she could had known. I don't limp, or drag it like Egor ( Igor) either. Just an interesting picture, and kind of interesting story.

This all went a bit mad yesterday, didn't it?

I still feel uncomfortable with this notion of illegal immigrants.

In 1776 you were all illegal. And tax hoppers to boot.

And now you're starting to whinge about exactly the same things as the English did when you stole the King's land.

Yes, you were here first. But the English were here before you. And the Indians before them.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I cheated. I used Babel. :)
Although, I studied french in high school 4 long years. Kind of hard to remember, maybe, we should push the "french" buttons on the ATM. A refresher course so to speak.
time to repent for me too. I used bing translate as an aid. I know a few words, but putting them into a meaningful sentence may come out like "I like chicken soup on wednesday" instead of "I understand how you feel"

TJanak

Reaction score
I'd rather be filled with kolace.

Or kolaches as we have Americanized it. I even grow my own poppyseed.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
A Janak would understand litost and kolace and poppyseed. But be careful, lots of recipes for how to get very "high" on poppyseed on the net these days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks