Gas pipe compression fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Layne

Reaction score
I saw this fitting on my gas pipe under the house where the pipe had been modified probably 30 years ago and I didn't like the looks of it. Then I saw one on the shelf at lowe's and realized that is has rubber inside, and that makes me really uncomfortable. Would you replace it with something better or leave it be? I also found (and already removed) a copper gas tube that had a nail driven all the way through it and was repaired with electrical tape. To say there's some shoddy workmanship in this house would be an understatment.

compressioncoupling.jpg

Layne

Reaction score
Is this a bad place to ask a gas related question, or is everyone afriad I'll blow up my house and then try to sue you for giving advice? :p

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Working on gas lines is not recommended for DIY. True, many of us do it, most who do get away with it, but a few blow themselves and their homes up. Water leaks are one thing, but gas leaks can ruin your day. I sure don't know about that fitting, but I would really question it. Big Box Stores often are not the best place to seek advice, and just because they sell it, doesn't mean it's OK to use.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Rubber washers are used at the gas meter.

It used to be that unions were not allowed in the middle of a run unless it was a bolt up flange, or reverse thread on side side coupling. Then CSST gas tubing came along, and there are unions all over the place.

Your fitting has been in place 30 years. I'm not so worried about it. It is bizarre lookin though. I haven't installed anything like that. Nor would I now.

Zl700

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Dresser cplgs are approved by National Fuel Gas Code, NFPA 54, are approved for 150#
But that doesn't mean its a quality brand in place,installed correctly, or something I would ever use beyond a temporary repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks