(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Softener Sizing Help

How long do you plan on living in the home? Til the kids are grown?

1.5 cubic to 2 cubic single should do very well..
    Your local dealer most likely has more years in that area than most of us here in treating your water.. any number of us might have many years in water treatment but I know little to nothing of water in AZ....

If a single is bought now and 5-7 years from now you feel that a twin would be better then an upgrade most likely would be the way to go as you already have the one tank and the salt tank,, and depending on the system that you go with .. might even have the meter and bypass already plumbed in ..

Quote Originally Posted by mialynette2003 View Post
    I've been in water treatment for over 21 years and have seen systems you would say where undersized work just fine. Saving 2 lbs of salt a year in my opinion is not worth spending an extra $100.00.
    I've seen and heard about many softeners that you would say were working just fine, not removing all the hardness about 50% of the time.

Have you found out what CV ... any number means?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    Is there in fact no error in oversizing a unit? I thought there was a greater risk of channeling if the unit is oversized.
    Yes you can oversize and if a softener is in fact channeling, it wasn't/isn't sized correctly.

I've never seen a softener that was channeling, and how would anyone prove channeling in a residential softener?
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by smite View Post
    An infant who drinks breast milk, gets a sponge bath every few days, small addition to laundry/dishes - maybe 15gpd average, if that.
    An older infant who drinks formula and gets a small nightly bath - maybe 20 gpd.
    A toddler who drinks water, runs around the house randomly flushing toilets and turning on faucets, alternates between quick shower and bath, a little more laundry/dishes - 35gpd
    6 yr old who drinks water, flushes the toilet 8x day, brushes teeth, takes shower/bath, xtra load laundry/dishes per week - 45 gpd
    10 yr old who drinks water, flushes toilet 6x day, brushes, teeth, takes own shower, xtra load(s) laundry/dishes per week - maybe approaches 60 gpd.

The only point where I disagree with you is that an infant/child does not use the same amount of water per day as an adult. And since my children are very young, it does not necessarily make sense to me to size them as if they were adults.

Regarding your statement "if you size correctly, there is no err on the larger size", that would only be true if you believe the larger size was the correct size to begin with. And it is clear to me that is what you believe, and I certainly respect your years of experience, which is why I am second guessing my dealer's recommendation of 1.5cuft and why I am taking a closer look at my actual water usage.
    What happens if you use say 30 gallons less per day than 60 gals/person/day? And what do you do if you used 30 gals more per day?

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    I've seen and heard about many softeners that you would say were working just fine, not removing all the hardness about 50% of the time.

Have you found out what CV ... any number means?
    I do not wish to play your silly games. It does not add information requested by the op. I have just as much right to post MY opinions on this site as you do. Thank you.
    Last edited by mialynette2003; 10-10-2011 at 02:06 PM.

I don't think either of us has the right to state incorrect opinions when giving someone advice. The CV of a control valve has everything to do with its use on a given size of softener or filter. And it seems you don't know that yet you disagree with me on sizing correctly.

You have been banned here at least 3 times, IMO that should tell you something.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Culligan, Kinetico, US Filter, Ionics, Sears. None of these companies size their units based on SFR. Why is that?

You need to check their spec sheets.

There is nothing to add to this thread.