Birds and Landscaping

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
I just had the most amazing morning of my life. At least recently. lol. This summer I paid closer attention to the wild stuff that grows in the back yard. Some of which is poisionous to humans, which I caught of course, a bad rash, but, this morning as I sat outside under the deck on the patio and watched the birds, I didn't realize how great of a job I did until, now. I saw more birds and different kinds than ever before. I saw all kinds, I saw things I recognized, like Woodpeckers, but young ones, finches, cardinals, robins, bluejays, it was amazing. I threw some of my breakfast in the driveway, which was popcorn, and, this dove came walking by. I got the biggest kick of him, because he walked past the popcorn and then, stopped like he had brakes, and then, turned around and saw it. It was so funny. Like he said, " wow! popcorn." He almost missed it. I was so impressed with the amount of birds, it was like having my very own avairy. I loved it.

I am going to now, seek newer plants to do to increase even the numbers and kinds. This will make my neighbors happy.

Speaking of happy people, I don't have to go to the "scary place" until, Thursday. No RE on the agenda either. So, I spent yesterday pulling out the workshop cabinets to get at the mold. Boy, what a job.

That is what I am working on today. Mold. Plus, I found yesterday while cutting the grass, a hole in the ground and ran it over with the mower. It brought out one white-faced hornet, and then, his buddies. How do I know what they are? I got a close enough look at them while they flew around my face. They are real beauties but, they are going to find another residence as soon as I can figure out how to do this. I had a bug guy come out before a couple years ago, but, due to the expense, I bought a can of wasp and hornet spray. Does anyone know, if this is wise to do or am I risking looking like a human, when they decide to attack.

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just had the most amazing morning of my life. At least recently. lol. This summer I paid closer attention to the wild stuff that grows in the back yard. Some of which is poisionous to humans, which I caught of course, a bad rash, but, this morning as I sat outside under the deck on the patio and watched the birds, I didn't realize how great of a job I did until, now. I saw more birds and different kinds than ever before. I saw all kinds, I saw things I recognized, like Woodpeckers, but young ones, finches, cardinals, robins, bluejays, it was amazing. I threw some of my breakfast in the driveway, which was popcorn, and, this dove came walking by. I got the biggest kick of him, because he walked past the popcorn and then, stopped like he had brakes, and then, turned around and saw it. It was so funny. Like he said, " wow! popcorn." He almost missed it. I was so impressed with the amount of birds, it was like having my very own avairy. I loved it.

I am going to now, seek newer plants to do to increase even the numbers and kinds. This will make my neighbors happy.

Speaking of happy people, I don't have to go to the "scary place" until, Thursday. No RE on the agenda either. So, I spent yesterday pulling out the workshop cabinets to get at the mold. Boy, what a job.

That is what I am working on today. Mold. Plus, I found yesterday while cutting the grass, a hole in the ground and ran it over with the mower. It brought out one white-faced hornet, and then, his buddies. How do I know what they are? I got a close enough look at them while they flew around my face. They are real beauties but, they are going to find another residence as soon as I can figure out how to do this. I had a bug guy come out before a couple years ago, but, due to the expense, I bought a can of wasp and hornet spray. Does anyone know, if this is wise to do or am I risking looking like a human, when they decide to attack.

Any advice on this will be appreciated.
Last month I was going to move some items around in the very rear of my back yard and stepped on where they must have had a nest in the ground. I was wearing shorts, and before I knew it they were buzzing all around me, biting me in 4 places before i was able to get far enough away to seem less of a threat. within 30 seconds I had some pretty severe pain and swelling. these guys are not to be played with. In the evening, I went back there with 2 cans of hornet and wasp spray and got even. Their deaths were almost instant, but my pain lasted for several days. In the late evening or night, they seem to just settle down. I would be extremely careful whatever you do. I will not mess with that area again until the hard frost sets in. I have to move those items back there, but the pain was unbelievable, and we get more sensitized to their venom each time we get stung, I read.

We feed the birds here too. We love watching them; its too bad birds don't have enough brains or courtesy not to crap where they eat or even better, to not crap on my stuff and go somewhere else. Finches, orioles, sparrows, bluejays, doves, various wood peckers, robins, lots of (too many) bandit crows, blackbirds, grackles. Also lots of other birds I need to look in our Audobon book to identify. I never fed them popcorn! Just blackoil sunflower seeds and wild bird mix. Too many, WAY too many squirrels here too. I managed to rig up the bird feeders and keep the squirrels from mooching all the bird seed except what the birdbrains let drop to the ground to share with the doves:)

Cookie

Reaction score
I fixed the squirrel feeder yesterday, a branch came down and busted it. So, I make the platform where they stand at larger for them, gave it a nice coat of paint and hung it back up. Then, I noticed the deers trying to eat the corn, lol, So, had to feed the deers. I am going to wait until sundown, like the movies and get those hornets. I got 2 little neighbor girls who visit and of course my grandson who just started walking and I will worry. I can't get the top off the workbench to unscrew the big bottom. So, far I probably need 69 stitches. The mold is right behind these cabinets, I can see it, and got to get them out. I am taking a break. My head is spinning from being in the cabinet ( with mask on) and, I hate this. But, the mold got to go. This is hard. I can't get 4 screws out. Boy, did my husband put those things in. Not to be rude, but if he weren't deceased, I would kill him right now. ;)

Cookie

Reaction score
He would laugh... ( cause he knows he would deserve it) he was funny. He would leave me a note in the morning saying, " took your double sawbuck" for parking. Who pays for free parking, I would ask, and then, ask, " do I look blonde?" I finally, got those screws off, so, if here, he could live. I am always talking to him about stuff in the house. (talking=swearing, lol.)

For instance, he put peg board down to the floor in the basement. I remember that conversation. I said, " maybe, you shouldn't put that peg board down to the floor in this basement since, it gets wet." He said, " ah, it won't get wet here." It got wet.

lol.

I remember, the conversation about the workshop lights. I said, " ah, maybe you shouldn't put that light so close to the workshop top doors" he said, " ah, they will open and shut alright." We had to take the doors off. lol.

What is it with men? You guys don't listen. We wives are saintly. And, oh so smart.

Cookie

Reaction score
I remember the time, he weighed my head. Since, I only weighed 108, he wanted to know how much my head weighed. So, I laid on the floor and put my head on a scale and he told me, it weighed in at 20 lbs. LOL... for the longest time, I thought I had alot of brains. I wanted to kill him. I told him that. I told everybody my head weighed 20 lbs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks