Any good way to stabilize a tall kitchen faucet from flexing a drop-in SS sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gellfex

Reaction score
I'm putting a new granite tile counter in one of my rental units. I usually use a self rimming drop in SS sink, and not one of the expensive heavy gauge ones. While I hate the look of the standard lo-rise $50 faucets and think the make a sink harder to use, I've found a taller arched faucet wobbles too much due to the flexing of the steel. I even thought of cutting the counter so the faucet stem would go through it too, but I couldn't think of a good way to get rid of the spot welded on clamp channel across the back. Cutting it out with a grinder would be a PITA, and Murphy would insure I'd accidentally go through the thin sink.

Any good ideas? Please don't tell me to buy an expensive cast iron or heavy SS sink. I know that's an option! But the granite tile is already way more effort & expense than the rent warrants. I just can't bear to put in a crappy prefab laminate counter that'll be garbage in 5 years.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The cheap stainless steel sink is flexing, and unless you install a "backing" underneath the entire ledge, there is no way to stop it from happening.

Gellfex

Reaction score
The cheap stainless steel sink is flexing, and unless you install a "backing" underneath the entire ledge, there is no way to stop it from happening.
Thanks, but as I pointed out, that would require removal of the rear channel from the sink, of which success is somewhat doubtful. Or do you mean screwing something up from underneath?

Now that I'm thinking more clearly than last night when I cut the holes in the ply counter and thinset down the Hardy, if I had left the ply and hardy under the sink holes but set the 10mm granite back of the channel, I might have made it work with a shim between the Hardy and steel. Oh well. Maybe next job. I'll have to take a look at the faucet and see if it can be mounted in a counter nearly 2" thick or I'd have to counterbore from beneath.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks