New construction... well, pump and control help wanted

Users who are viewing this thread

doug george

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions and input as to what I may have missed.. New construction. I have a 12 foot deep 5 foot diameter spring fed cistern. I have used this source in a different way for years.. House is appx 200 feet from house on a slope with a head of about 40 feet to basement pressure tank 100 gallons in size . House has basement plus 2 stories. My plan is to have a small pump house next to spring cistern containing pump, and aux 120v source for lights plus an outlet. Pump I had in mind is a Flotec FP4312 ½ hp 240v.The line from spring cistern to pump would be 1â€. I have run an 1 1/14 200psi line to a 1000 gallon storage cistern next to house buried to keep from freezing. The actual house pump would be in the basement feeding the pressure tank. I had planned to use the same pump at spring cistern and house . Better suggestions??? The pump has an 1†output line and input . Would this be a problem going to 1.25 line from spring to house cistern?? Main reason for the HD line is in the future I may want to have an actual deep well near the spring cistern. Or, should I run a 1†line as well. Electrical would be burial 10/3 two runs as I may want added electrical down by the spring. Now for the controls, my thinking is to use a tethered float in spring to keep pump from running dry. Also there needs to be a float in the House cistern to tell lower pump to refill the upper house cistern. This is an area I really need help. Sorry for the novel , just trying to give all the info I can. Thanks for the help in advance…… Doug

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
2] 10-3 runs is a lot of electricity. And wire. Seems excessive

1" should be large enough

You can use a small submersible in the house 1000g tank with a Franklin pumptek to keep it from pumping dry.

Then a float switch in the 1000g tank to turn the spring pump on. Choke back the outlet of the spring pump into the 1000g tank with a valve until it matches the spring water input to the cistern.

What is the production in GPM of the spring?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would use a 1/2 HP, 10 GPM submersible in both cisterns. (More bang for the buck than a jet pump) Restricing the flow from the fist pump to match the input to the cistern is a good idea as well. However, the Pumptec will not work when you restrict the flow from a pump. It sees the amp drop as a dry well and shuts down the pump. The Cycle Sensor http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_sensor_geninfo.html
will work as it is designed to know the difference between resticted flow and a dry well or cistern.

You could also use a Cycle Sensor to protect the house pump in case the cistern runs dry. A 100 gallon pressure tank holds less than 30 gallons of water. Your real water is stored in the cisterns. 30 gallons in a pressure tank are not going to help any and only slightly reduces the pump cycling. If you use a CSV on the house pump, you would have constant pressure in the house and can use as small as a 4.4 gallon tank. The CSV would also work with a 100 gallon tank, the big tank is just not necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks