(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Valve clicking, but water not flowing.

Default Valve clicking, but water not flowing.

Hi,

I just noticed that my sprinklers weren't coming on, so I looked and the display on my irritrol RD600 was blinking the accurate time. I adjusted the start time, and found that the water wasn't flowing when the system turned on. I then tried maually activating different valves through the control box without results.

I then opened the box, and opened the the little plastic bleeder screws and the sprinklers all came on. I then switched the solenoids to different valves, and repeated the process getting the same results. I checked the solenoid & the hole under it and they seemed clean and functional. No water flow through any valve, and a lot of clicking from the solenoid on the new first run valve. Trying to run a different zone manually through the box just has the display flick to a flashing OFF.

Thanks for any advice with this one.

although it's very unusual for all the solenoids to go bad it's possible. first I would check the voltage at the clock, it should be 24v to each running station. if the voltage is good I would replace one solenoid with a new one and see if that is the fix. if the voltage is low the transformer or clock may have gone bad.

Thanks for your help, Mike. I continued to switch the solenoids, and let the system sit for a couple days, and then it started running all four valves, but two ran very loudly, with a rattling buzz sound. This has gone on for two weeks, now it won't run again with just a clicking sound coming from the #1 solenoid. I'm going to try rewiring all the solenoids to make sure it isn't a water problem as the box was pretty damp. I'll buy a new solenoid and get a meter to check the voltage next.