Pull up drain stopper

Users who are viewing this thread

bufhal

Reaction score
Hi. Hope I can get some advice.
I had a clogged bathtub and I removed the on the overflow, plunged the bottom drain. However, when I remove the flip-lever cover, the corroded screws broke off and now there are tiny nubs in the screw holes. I cannot access the pipes outside the tub and cannot drill new holes to place new screws.
Is there a workaround to this? We never fill the tub, just use the shower, so we don't need the tub filled. I would silicone the cover back on but I know this is also the overflow and might cause future problems if the tub backs up.
Please let me know what I can do to solve this. :confused:
Thank you

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
tub

You could have done as much without taking the overflow plate off.

No magic pill here.

I think you will have to replace the whole tub waste and overflow.

When you do, I think a good snaking would be in order.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
One thing you can do if there is no way to access the back of the tub without spending a lot of $$$$ would be to buy a replacement cover with 1 screw in the middle of the cover then get a tap that matches the threads and size of the screw and the proper size drill bit for the tap. Drill and tap a hole in the back of the over flow and install the cover. If the screw is not long enough you may have to find a longer one. I am guessing that the overflow is older/brass and will have enough meat on it for the tap to do its job. It's hard to tell from here though :)

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
drain

If you do much drilling and pushing. I think that you will wiggle the overflow so as to make it leak down at the tee.........

bufhal

Reaction score
thanks

Please clarify one thing. If I can reattach the cover so not water can get in from the tub, can I just not use the over flow?

bufhal

Reaction score
you are both right

you are both right. I cannot drill into it and it does give when pushed on. Cas, when you mention " Drill and tap a hole in the back of the over flow and install the cover.", do you mean close the overflow off and simply not use it anymore?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
bufhal said:
you are both right. I cannot drill into it and it does give when pushed on. Cas, when you mention " Drill and tap a hole in the back of the over flow and install the cover.", do you mean close the overflow off and simply not use it anymore?

No you are drilling and taping a hole for the screw that will come with the new cover that you buy at Lowes. You should be able to get 1 finger in the overflow pipe and hold it tight to the tub while you slowly drill the hole, the the tap will put threads in the brass hole that you just made to hold the screw that comes with the new 1 hole cover. The new cover is a replacement for tub overflows that have only 1 screw.

Last edited:

bufhal

Reaction score
thank you

Thanks. I will try to install the new, one screw cover. I will have to get the old screw nubs filed down because they are not coming out of there...
I appreciate it everyone...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Take the new cover and hold it in place B4 you try filing them down, the cover may fit without any filing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks