(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New Washer - drain and vent

Default New Washer - drain and vent

I'm installing a new washer and could use some advice on plumbing the drain. I've been going over the NC plumbing codes and these forums and *hope* I've come up with something proper, but I'm sure you experts will let me know.

Name:  plumbing.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  15.3 KB

Sorry if it looks confusing, but I had to draw it in three dimensions to really show what's happening. The house is up on pilings, but there is a utility room below with an existing toilet. I would like to drain the washer to that drain line. The lines in blue represent what is already there; the lines in black are what I want to add.

Does this look ok? Anything else I need to explain?

Thanks!

Kenny
    Last edited by KSC; 09-23-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

What you have drawn looks fine considering we don't know for sure what fittings you intend to use. Don't forget the cleanouts.

Thanks, good to know I'm going in the right direction. Where would I need to put cleanouts? As for the fittings, I'm afraid I don't really know the lingo to say. If anyone wants to tell me what's best or what they would use, I'm all ears. I can tell you that the initial vertical size will be 2" PVC, but I'll switch to 3" PVC for the rest of the way, to conform to NC code:

406.3 Waste connection.
    The waste from an automatic clothes washer shall connect to a vertical branch drain of not less than 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter or a horizontal branch drain of not less than 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter. The 2-inch (51 mm) trap in the waste connection may be used as a cleanout for both the 2-inch (5I mm) and the 3-inch (76 mm) branch.
    Last edited by KSC; 09-23-2011 at 07:57 PM.

quote; I can tell you that the initial vertical size will be 2" PVC, but I'll switch to 3" PVC for the rest of the way, to conform to NC code

That is NOT what it says. That passage refers to where you can MAKE your connection to the existing system. If by "initial vertical size" you are referring to where you make the connection, you CANNOT increase to 3" if you start with 2", and you only need 2" anyway.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Well that's good news for me. I wasn't looking forward to the 3" pipe. Thanks!