New Washer - drain and vent

Users who are viewing this thread

KSC

Reaction score
I'm installing a new washer and could use some advice on plumbing the drain. I've been going over the NC plumbing codes and these forums and *hope* I've come up with something proper, but I'm sure you experts will let me know. :)

plumbing.jpg

Sorry if it looks confusing, but I had to draw it in three dimensions to really show what's happening. The house is up on pilings, but there is a utility room below with an existing toilet. I would like to drain the washer to that drain line. The lines in blue represent what is already there; the lines in black are what I want to add.

Does this look ok? Anything else I need to explain?

Thanks!

Kenny

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What you have drawn looks fine considering we don't know for sure what fittings you intend to use. Don't forget the cleanouts.

KSC

Reaction score
Thanks, good to know I'm going in the right direction. Where would I need to put cleanouts? As for the fittings, I'm afraid I don't really know the lingo to say. If anyone wants to tell me what's best or what they would use, I'm all ears. :) I can tell you that the initial vertical size will be 2" PVC, but I'll switch to 3" PVC for the rest of the way, to conform to NC code:

406.3 Waste connection.
The waste from an automatic clothes washer shall connect to a vertical branch drain of not less than 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter or a horizontal branch drain of not less than 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter. The 2-inch (51 mm) trap in the waste connection may be used as a cleanout for both the 2-inch (5I mm) and the 3-inch (76 mm) branch.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I can tell you that the initial vertical size will be 2" PVC, but I'll switch to 3" PVC for the rest of the way, to conform to NC code

That is NOT what it says. That passage refers to where you can MAKE your connection to the existing system. If by "initial vertical size" you are referring to where you make the connection, you CANNOT increase to 3" if you start with 2", and you only need 2" anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks