Shower Pan Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Nmnunna32

Reaction score
I have a fiberglass shower pan in my basement shower which is leaking. After much detection, I found that the leak is from the joint that connects the drain to the pan. I have attached a picture.

I wonder if there is some liquid sealent that I can pour into the joint which will eventually seal the joint. I cannot take the drain out with ripping out the shower. The original drain, I believe, is screwed from the bottom of the pan before installing the pan. I do not have access to the bottom of the pan with out removing the pan.

I wonder if there is an easy fix for this...

leak.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The leak is probably between the pan and the drain fitting. A competent plumber would be able to remove it and install a "Wing Tite" drain fitting without damaging the shower pan or the downstairs ceiling. It will take a couple of hours however to get the old drain out.

Nmnunna32

Reaction score
HJ,

I am not sure if wingtite works in my case. Based on what I read wingtite drain is for 2 inch PVC pipes. My shower drain is connected to cast iron pipe which appears to be bigger than 2 inches...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pipes are spec'ed at the ID, not OD, so take that into consideration. It could be that they just put the shower over a floor drain, and there's no real connection. Hard to say without being there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks