Has anyone build tub enclosure for kohler 5-ft mendota cast iron bath tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

DPTampa

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm sorry to begin with what may seem to be an absolutely crazy idea leading to a general question. I have a bathroom with your typical
standard style Kohler 5-ft White Cast Iron Bath Tub that is one-year old & rarely used. Budget prevents us from replacing the tub with one that is a drop-in acrylic type tub, but we would like to build a tub surround for this tub just as if it were a drop-in type tub. The actual surround
will basically be a front and possibly a top that overlays the tub.

Once the surround is built it will have a cement board surface, sealed with a liquid sealer, and tiled with marble or granite tiles to give that
build-in custom look.

Has anyone done this before and experienced success in the outcome? I realize it can easily be problematic and appreciate any input possible as to how I might go about building this and making it look quality.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Dennis
Tampa, FL

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Can't really picture the problem. You know that there is a raised lip on three sides where the wall meets the tub. You don't have much width to work with.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would have to build a "raised" deck on the three sides to overlap the "tile flange" on the tub, and there would be NO good way to leak proof the front edge at the apron, since it does NOT have the tile flange, although you might get by with using the vinyl "tile flange" Kohler sells when you use a drop in tub in an alcove installation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks