Mansfield 211 Flush Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

kurkevan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a really old Mansfield toilet whose flush valve needs to be replaced. After some research, I decided to purchase the 211 model, since it is the most economical (1.5 gpf). However, now I am worried that the bowl was not designed for such low volume, and perhaps it will not flush properly. Is this a concern at all? Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Back when they started to require lower flow toilets, the manufacturers tried just that...lowering the water used during a flush. It didn't work. Those years of poorly performing toilets gave low-flow a bad name. Do yourself a favor and get a new one that will actually work.

kurkevan

Reaction score
Yikes. You don't think it's even worth a try? The other model (210) uses more than double the amount of water.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Mansfield is a very low quality toilet and nothing you can add or do to it will change that. The leader in low flow toilets today is Toto. It would do you well to go to the top of this page and click on "Toilet Reviews". Then select "Shopping", and finally "Toto". Here you will find all of the models Toto makes including the prices that Terry Love sells them for in Seattle. While no one sell MSRP, prices may vary in your area. Consider this a lifetime purchase. The Eco Drake uses only 1.28 gallon per flush.

kurkevan

Reaction score
If I were replacing the toilet, I would definitely look into buying the ones you mentioned. But as of now I am just replacing the flush valve, and would like to know in advance whether the 1.5gpf will do the job, or if I need the 3.5gpf valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No.
If you have a 3.5 toilet, then using 1.5 will only stir the water, not flush it down the drain.

Just pick up the 3.5 gallon flush valve.
If you want to save water, you will need to replace the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks