GE / Rheem power vent ECO failure code - GG50S06RVJ

Users who are viewing this thread

riverdale

Reaction score
Having problems with a Rheem/GE power vented hot water heater, model # GGGG50S06RVJ. I'm going to do this in point form for clarity:

1) Tank stops heating, check flashing error code and it shows 4-2 which is ECO failure

2) Call Rheem Canada and they say check resistance on the two outside wires of the four pin connector. It shows about 18K ohms. They say it needs a new electronic control and they send it.

3) Install new control, (NOTE: JUST the electronic portion, NOT the whole control AND valve assembly) which is identical to original one, and immediately get 4-2 error code.

4) Next morning, while on hold with Rheem Canada again, tried plugging the unit back in and it fires up and heats the tank. Since nothing else has been done, I'm quite certain this isn't going to last (quits a little later when it tries to reheat the next tankful).

5) Rheem Canada transfers us to "advanced troubleshooting" at Rheem USA who tell us "you shouldn't have installed that control, it is the wrong one". Got into a frankly ridiculous discussion with them, but they are sending the updated "digital" control.

5) New control hasn't arrived yet, but I highly doubt this will fix the problem. So I was thinking I would like to replace the thermocouple because it is a cheap and relatively easy fix.

6) However, the burner access panel has a warning on it that the gasket MUST be replaced if opened. So the question is, does this REALLY have to be replaced and if so, how hard are the gaskets to find? Home Depot etc. has thermocouples but what about specific gaskets?

I do not want to pay someone to do the easy thermocouple fix, to ensure the gasket is dealt with properly, just to find out they REUSE the old gasket anyway.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

riverdale

Reaction score
Oh great, it just keeps getting better............

The new "digital" control has yet to arrive but I was cleaning up around the heater in preparation for doing the work down there. I started vacuuming all the dust and cobwebs etc. from around the burner access. Tried plugging the unit in again just to see if it would kick in and now in getting the 2 - 3 error code which is the flammable vapor detector failure. I checked the connectors, they are not dislodged etc. I did NOT use any cleaners or water while cleaning, just a small brush and a vacuum. There are no chemicals or paints etc. stored anywhere near the unit.

So now I'm wondering if this was the actual problem in the first place as the earlier ECO failure seems to be a rather vague error. Is the ECO physically located within the gas valve portion of the electronic control/valve assembly component. Can the ECO and the FVD error be related or is it more likely than I have now created a new problem with the FVD? Hard to believe as I was very careful and gentle but..............

Last edited:

riverdale

Reaction score
Called Rheem about the 2 - 3 error and they said

1) Unplug unit
2) plug back in
3) Rapidly turn temp. dial from 'vacation' to 'hot' six times

Voila, 2 -3 FVD error code disappeared. I haven't seem any reference to this reset method online at all so hopefully this helps someone out with this error code.

Of course, I'm still stuck with my 4 - 2 ECO failure which the more I think about the more I realize the valve portion will need to be replaced as this is where the ECO device appears to be located. Calling a repairperson for that one, don't want to mess around with gas connections.I'm just waiting for the upgraded "digital" control so they can put that fresh one in.

cperkins

Reaction score
I found this somewhere awhile back, it may help. I think this is the unit on my water heater, a 50 gal Nat Gas power vent rheem from home depot Model GG50T06PVK

https://secure.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8a6d67885c5f6db8a6af

(link to where I have the .pdf file hosted at)

Chad,
I realize that it was 2 years ago that you posted this, but the shared PDF seems to be gone. Do you still have it, or could you help explain what the resistance across my ECO should be (expected range). I am also getting a 4-2 flash code for "ECO fail", I've read several forums about junk controllers, tech service bulletins, recalls, etc.

Model GG50T06PVJ (similar to above except J vs. K), manuf 12/2006, placed in service in new house in 2/2010, thermostat is Robertshaw WIPER160FV02L (date code 0646).
Thanks,
Craig

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks