Outlets on a line

Users who are viewing this thread

RJK

Reaction score
I am turning my 10x12 Garage into a bedroom. I am planning on using the existing line for the Celing and Closet light. I am planning on Running a 12-2line on a 20 amp breaker. But I am not sure how many outlets I am allowed to place on that line.

Can someone answer that for me?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOu can have a 1,000 outlets on the line, but you CANNOT use all of them at the same time. WHAT you have plugged into the outlets determines how many you can use.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any circuit can be overloaded if you try to draw too many amps. An outlet draw zero amps until something is (a) plugged into it and (b) turned on. It is unlikely you will have a problem converting a garage into a bedroom, but if you were converting a bedroom into a garage, then you would probably be wise to run at least another 20 amp circuit just for future possible uses.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on your local codes, there are all sorts of things required to convert a space from a garage to a bedroom. In most places, that would require a smoke detector, AFCI protected receptacles, and two acceptable means of egress. There is a code requirement on the spacing and location of any added receptacles, too. You need to know your local code, or what national code is used where you live.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A 10x12 garage is about the size needed for a Smart Car, so I guess a requirement that cars cannot be parked outside would not be applicable since a car could not have fit into it anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks