(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Tub Installation Questions

Default Tub Installation Questions

I'm getting ready to install a Kohler drop in whirlpool tub (6' Miraposa) and had some questions.

1. Kohler calls for either using a 2" mortar base, construction adhesive, or silicone caulk around the rim. I'm thinking either the mortar base or construction adhesive is the way to go. What is easier for a novice to stall? If I go with construction adhesive is there a recommendation for the brand?

2. I have roughed in the plumbing to the p-trap. Based on the installation instruction for the tub drain (Kohler Clearflow), it calls for a tail piece between the drain T (where the overflow and the tub drain meet) and the p-trap. Since the open end of p-trap is a pvc piece that needs to be glued in (not threaded) what type of tail piece should I use?

3. Finally, any other tips for installing?

Sorry to ask all of the basic questions.

Mike

I am not clear where you would use Liquid Nails on a tub install. If it is fibereglas or plastic then bedding the BOTTOM of the tub in mortar, preferably GypCrete lightweight mortar, is good, as recommended by Kohler. If it is a drop-in, then silicone caulk would be used around the rim.

You will need a trap adapter to connect your tubular tailpiece to the PVC trap.

Jim -

Thanks for the response. The tub is a drop in. The instructions do call for the mortar bed of construction adhesive on the feet/blocks.

For the p-trap adaptor, will this have a threaded top to attach to the drain T?

After I dry fit everything, I'm guessing that I would glue the adaptor to the p-trap and then set the tub in place. The adaptor needs to fit into the drain by about an inch based on Kohler's instructions.

Thanks, Mike

DIY Member

I am not sure if MikeG read the Kohler instructions too well. I am currently installing a kohler mariposa as well. It says apply a mortar bed, and if you like, you can also use construction adhesive on the feet.