Winterizing hot water heating sysems

Users who are viewing this thread

TJay

Reaction score
General question about winterizing plumbing in homes that have a hot water heating system (any type of hot water boiler or geothermal system for hot water baseboard or radiant floor heat). I most commonly see Weil McLain boilers, though newer direct vent systems are showing up such as Lochinvar and others. Though I realize that hot water boiler systems can be drained and winterized, I am asking about a scenario where the household plumbing is winterized, but the hot water heat system is not. For example, HUD/Fannie Mae and others direct property managers to drain and winterize plumbing, but leave heat on (at a low setting).

Almost any heating system I have seen that circulates hot water for heat will have a make-up water supply line from the plumbing system.

Question is: How much water do most hot water heat systems actually draw from the make-up water supply? If the plumbing water supply is completely shut down, say for a 6 month period, and the hot water heating system left running (at a low temp), will the hot water heating system be starved for make-up water? Is it different if there is, or is not, an anti-freeze solution mix in the heating loop?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks