(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

No lawyer here, but response from one might be nice...
    Whats to stop individual homeowners/plumbers from filing motions on their own and taking Whirlpool to court?
    I betcha a few thousand summons from all over the country might make them consider a recall.
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

If it was brought to the returns counter in this manner maybe they would get the message!

Last edited by Redwood; 01-07-2008 at 07:04 PM.

Default American Waterheater

My waterheater expired at year 3 1/2 years. I called American and they sent me the complete KIT-FG Door Switch and I was told that a plumber was not need and that I could install it with no problem.

I disconnected all the suggested items including the 2 screws holding the door. My problem was that I could not get the old door to budge. I call for support and when I told them what problem I was having they immediately gave me an RA number, no questions. Lowes also took the unit back even though I had no receipt for the unit.

I am not sure I want a "new" American/Whirlpool unit but I guess I am stuck. BTW, my new Whirlpool unit (not an American brand) did not come with screen filters to go around the bottom.

I was wondering- what brought the need for a flame lock? Were there fires from the burner of water heaters, or was it just the fear that something "might" happen, i.e. a liability issue? I've never heard of a fire that started with a water heater, although I havent made it a point to find out the statistics. Maybe, its better to convert to an electric water heater, if the new gas ones are going to cost a lot more, and be less reliable.

Another gimmick to appease the general handyman/homeowner, pawned by a box store.
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

Man, THANKS TERRY! for running this site. My near 20 year old water heater is acting up, I've replaced the dip tub, but I'm not sure if that will fix it, so I was looking at replacements since I think it's better to change it out now than later when it starts leaking. I looked at Lowes, since I have over $300 in gift cards for them, and was considering a Whirlpool until I came across this thread. Looks like I saved myself some SERIOUS hassles.
    I also was considering the the Sears Power Miser 12, because it can highly recommended for Consumerresearch.com. I'm VERY leary of all Sears products these days since their track record has diminished so greatly over the last decade or so. Any ideas on this type?

Edited-
    I took a look at the link from Master Plumber Mark. Is it agreed that Rheem has a quality product? I wanted a direct vent model, but they have such a limited warranty compared to standard venting water heaters, I'm confused as to why. I looked at Bradford, but their closest person is in MN, and since I'm in WI, that doesn't work. Any other suggested models to look at?
    Last edited by boober; 01-13-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Power vent heaters will tend to have a shorter warranty because there are too many parts which can go wrong. You cant reasonably warranty a blower or a pressure switch for a very long time. Best bet is to look for the best warranty your installing contractor will give.

I could see offering a shorter warranty for the power vent, but not for everything else... I was hoping to install myself, which may be an issue trying to get a rheem or bradford white...

I've been planning to completely re-plumb my house with pex, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'll probably wait until summer, until school is out so I can install this all during summer break. Hopefully by then I'll have a source to buy the water heater...

Default cleaning the screen

I've seen people talk about keeping the " lint screen " clean and was wondering if everybody agrees, that if a person kept it clean every 3 months, ( like Whirlpool asks ) that would take care of the problem... I myself think it would be ludicrous for Whirlpool to expect the average person to disconnect a few gas lines and a few electrical connections and unscrew and remove the entire housing to clean a " lint screen " every three months...... I don't think the threaded connections are designed to take it....... What do you guys think?

Anyone care to help on another home owner with a JUNK Whirlpool WH?

30 gallon, FG series, 3 years old. Has worked flawlessly until a week ago.

The pilot light went out, and relit, but continued to go out after a short time of running.

Whirlpool sent the upgrade, and I installed, following directions to a T. Took about an hour.

Pilot light relit...yippeee...I have hot water.....for about 4 minutes.

Pilot light goes out after running for a 'cycle', and I have to relight the pilot.

Lint screen was/is clean.

Where is the problem?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP!!!!!

Clove
    Last edited by clovis; 01-25-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking WHIRLPOOL CRAP--you are screwed

LOWES has hung everyone out to dry...at least in our town

they have pulled all the repair parts off their shelves....

becasue of that lawsuit.... now you are at the mercyu of Whirlpool

When I have worked on them, the only thing that I think
    could have possibly went wrong was trying to bend that crappy thermocoupling into position

The only thing I can figure is that if it is not perfectly put back in to place like the original one was installed
    (which is almlmost impossible to do) the new thermocouoling gets

subjected to higher heat that shorts out the coupling.almost immediately...........

you might as well get a new water heater and forget about it---you are screwed---learn to live with it.

I presently have a customer that I installed a Brad White for to replace that Flame lock junk..... they are trying to get a 150 re-imbursment from Whirlpool

believe it or not, Whirlpool wants THE ORIGINAL RECEIPT for the purchase of the new water heater from the customer!!

I have mailed them the sticker on the box from the heater that I installed with the ser# and mod # on it....
    and I have sent them a copy of my bill for $599 for the new heater.

I honestly think that Whirlpool wont be happy with that either and will worm and weasel their way out of giving these people back one red cent..... on some "technicality".

I honestly feel bad for the customer , and I am willing to help them with my time and effort, but am not planning on pampering Whirlpool by jumping through hoops untill
    the middle of next summer

and neither should my customer..

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/galleryiii/

Mark,

Thank you for the quick reply!!!!

I see you are in Indy. I am in Franklin.

I think you are right. It is probably time for a new WH.

Why the same problem before and after with the pilot light not staying lit? Do you think it is the thermocouple, both times?

What brand do you recommend?

One of my BIG concerns is that my problem lays outside of the WH...and a replacement of any brand will do the same thing. Can you advise?

I am not mad at Lowes...just Whirlpool. And replacing with another brand just lets Whirlpool win. What more could they ask for???

Again, THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Bring the heater back to Low*s, and tell them the story, then tell them you want your $$$ back. They will refund it if you have the recept or used a CC to buy it. If you don't have any proof they will give you a store credit which is better than nothing.

Buy a Rheem or Bradford White.

You should be mad a Low*s, they are well aware of the problems and still sell them without having them corrected..
    Last edited by Cass; 01-25-2008 at 08:18 AM.

If you really want to hate Whirlpool, do a search on "Maytag Iowa " or "death of Maytag Iowa" - plant built in 1890's, one of America's icon manufacturing facilities that lasted until this year. Whirlpool bought it up, shut it down and took the washing machine factory to various parts of the US and the orient.

Several million square feet of punch presses and an entire community and culture destroyed for the sake of a higher profit margin. Its a repetitive saga that will pull us down to a developing nation again.

They likely did the same to get a water heater in their stable, and the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing, thus all the parts confusion.

whirlpool can make a nice dryer with a pull out lint screen, but the a**holes in design can't mount that same unit in the water heater with a prefilter.