(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

Ha. I don't think I'm up to 8 hours quite yet. Probably only about 3 to 4 hours of actual "repair" time. But if I count all the times laying on the floor to manually relight the pilot and travel time to Lowe's, it's probably getting close.

Maybe they'll issue me a uniform like the Maytag Repair Man.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by hondo21 View Post
    Ha. I don't think I'm up to 8 hours quite yet. Probably only about 3 to 4 hours of actual "repair" time. But if I count all the times laying on the floor to manually relight the pilot and travel time to Lowe's, it's probably getting close.

Maybe they'll issue me a uniform like the Maytag Repair Man.

Wearing the Whirlpool name on your shirt will most likely get you shot in a Lowe's parking lot, wrapped with a red vest like they wear and sent off in a shopping cart for proper burial.

I'm tellin' ya; there's a whole lot of angry people over this product.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Default I'll Join for 4

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Today is the third year anniversary of the first post in this thread! Anyone going for 4???
    ===================================
    I put an UG2F404T3NV in a rental to replace the 8yr old one that was still working so I wouldn't have any problems with new tenants. It's been 7 months and the pilot stopped working making the new tenants really upset. Talking to India there going to have a new gas valve delivered today. I'm wondering if I should install it or try to call Whirlpool and get service. Anyone have the Whirlpool number handy?
    Where do I sign up for the class action suit? I'll probably lose renters over this.
    Great help on this site, thanks

Lightbulb Whirlpool Flame Lock gas valve/thermostat

I have been having issues with this water heater for quite some time (model # FG1F3030S3NOV). The problem seems to be with the gas valve/thermostat. The BFG conversion kit has had to be installed (according to Lowe's and Whirlpool this would fix everything). Needless to say, it did not work. Then I was told that the flame trap must be dirty or clogged. This was not the case due to fact that the heater was place on blocks when installed just for the purpose of cleaning the flame trap which would have been almost impossible to access otherwise. After the kit did not take care of the problem, I changed the gas valve and immediately had a pilot light after just a few seconds of holding down that blasted red button. I just recently had to change the gas valve again (item #6910555) for the second time, after having to repeatedly light the pilot light over a period of 3 months to the point that it finally would not light at all. And yes it is exactly the same as the first replacement so I can figure on about 6 months to one year of hot water before I have to replace it again. In my case, it had nothing to do with the thermocouple, or the flame trap, or the conversion kit, as I was initially told by Whirlpool. The good news is...Whirlpool ground shipped me the gas valve this time at no cost, however I was told this would only be a one time shipment (this just tells me that they have not rectified the problem and fully expect it to happen again). They were extremely accomodating this time (kind of scary since this has not been their norm). So if anyone is still having problems you might want to call Whirlpool and see if they will ship you a gas valve as well. Even if you don't need it now.....you will eventually.

I'm going to say the solution once again!

As you read through these threads time and time again you hear the tale of how the "repair" kit was installed and it either did not work or, failed again after a short period of time.

The only known cure is to remove the Cesspool Water Heater from service and replace it with a Bradford-White or, Rheem Water Heater.

It's that simple!

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

What I can't understand is why somebody will join, read this entire thread or the majority of it,

and still have "hope" that their heater is "special" and that they'll pat it on side and hope it keeps working.

At some point of reasonable thinking aside from the cost perspective and peace of mind, you pull that hammer back, aim and shoot at the half dead animal on the side of the road,

and put the whole thing out of its misery.

Nobody gets a cookie for limping your piece of junk whirlpool heater along till the voice of "CHUCK or BILL" from India brings any sense of hope or promise listening to him authorizing parts from halfway around the world.

I gotta stop...lol.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

It is because no one wants to believe the "Deal" they got wasn't....or that a big company like the big box stores would sell a piece of junk...it does not compute...

Default Anyone seen an increase in natural Gas bill?

My husband installed the Whirlpool Flamelock "enhancement" kit some time in November 2008. I opened our gas bill for 11/31/08 to 12/31/08. It had tripled. We were gone 10 days of that period as well. We have gas heat, but in 15 years, we have never had a bill that high and we both like the house cool - around 69 in the winter.

The only thing that has changed was the replacement of that part in that Whirlpool water heater.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks.

Default The Dreadful Whirlpool Water Heater

I installed the "T/C Enhancement Kit" myself and all went well. I also had great service with all whom I spoke with on the phone. However, I did make the mistake of ordering the kit "Next Day" for $20 at (http://www.flamelocksupport.com/kits.aspx) on Thursday evening expecting to receive it Friday. Wrong! I would not get it until Monday as they placed the shipment order on Friday. (order before 3:00 pm). The lady I spoke with said that I could place an additional order "Saturday Delivery" for $30 as long as I did it by 3:00pm (it is now Friday morning). I then called other Lowe's stores near my location and found the kit I needed (Type A). They said they would put my name on it and leave it at the service desk. It was a 40 mile one hour drive (very bad weather) but the kit was FREE! Great, now I can get started!

I started on it Saturday morning and encountered only one problem. This kit is fairly easy to install as long as you follow the instructions provided. However, the one problem I ran into was installing the 1/4 inch pilot tube and compression fitting into the valve. The fitting did not hold the line in! Oh S**T!!! This fitting is a one time shot as you will not find it in any hardware store! Here is a very helpful tip: When installing this fitting, the instructions tell you to: (1)screw the fitting into the valve finger tight only at first(this is correct) (2)push the 1/4 inch pilot line up into the fitting all the way until it comes to a dead stop(wrong)...this is actually correct but, when you tighten the fitting while holding the line in, you should back the line away from the dead stop no more than 1/16 of an inch. This allows the line some space to move forward a little when you tighten the fitting. (I believe that when I held the line to a dead stop and tightened the fitting, the line had no space to move as the fitting clamped onto the line. Therefore, when drawing the fitting up tight, the line broke free from the fitting as it had no space to move once clamped into the fitting. (I tried to explain this the best I could!)

1st pic: Gas valve with everything removed..........

2nd pic: empty Combustion Chamber..........

3rd pic: Burner assembly..........
    Last edited by Terry; 06-14-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Default The dreaded Whirlpool Water Heater!

I installed the "T/C Enhancement Kit" myself and all went well. I also had great service with all whom I spoke with on the phone. However, I did make the mistake of ordering the kit "Next Day" for $20 at ( http://www.flamelocksupport.com/kits.aspx ) on Thursday evening expecting to receive it Friday. Wrong! I would not get it until Monday as they placed the shipment order on Friday. ( order before 3:00 pm ). The lady I spoke with said that I could place an additional order "Saturday Delivery" for $30 as long as I did it by 3:00pm (it is now Friday morning). I then called other Lowe's stores near my location and found the kit I needed (Type A). They said they would put my name on it and leave it at the service desk. It was a 40 mile one hour drive (very bad weather) but the kit was FREE! Great, now I don't have to spend another $30 and can get started on it today!

I started on it Saturday morning and encountered only one problem. This kit is fairly easy to install as long as you follow the instructions provided. However, the one problem I ran into was installing the 1/4 inch pilot tube and compression fitting into the valve. The fitting did not hold the line in! Oh S**T!!! This fitting is a one time shot as you will not find it in any hardware store! Here is a very helpful tip: When installing this fitting, the instructions tell you to: (1)screw the fitting into the valve finger tight only at first(this is correct) (2)push the 1/4 inch pilot line up into the fitting all the way until it comes to a dead stop(wrong)...this is actually correct but, when you tighten the fitting while holding the line in, you should back the line away from the dead stop no more than 1/16 of an inch. This allows the line some space to move forward a little when you tighten the fitting. (I believe that when I held the line to a dead stop and tightened the fitting, the line had no space to move as the fitting clamped onto the line. Therefore, when drawing the fitting up tight, the line broke free from the fitting as it had no space to move once clamped into the fitting. I hope you understand what I,m talking about(I tried to explain this the best I could!).....I did get lucky and managed to find a way to reuse the fitting which failed. Wheeewwwww!!! It is now Sunday morning at this time and I have hot water!!! Oh.....and I still have the other kit still on the way Monday morning also! I would be glad to help anyone with any questions concerning this particular model (fg1f4040s3nov)! ( guitarzan_brad@yahoo.com )...............

Here are a few more pictures to check out.

1st pic: Gas valve with everything removed..........

2nd pic: empty Combustion Chamber..........

3rd pic: Burner assembly..........
    Last edited by Terry; 06-14-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Default Pain in the butt bolts

Quote Originally Posted by hondo21 View Post
    After doing it three times, I can say that removing and replacing that manifold unit is kind of a pain by the way. Trying to line up the both screws with the holes is difficult when you can't see them. .
    The original housing at least let you take the bolts out and then you could see the mating holes through the housing. The new one came with clips to keep the bolts in the holes so you cannot see what your doing. Guess if your a trained Whirlpoo tech you don't need to see what your doing, just aim and screw it up.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    I'm going to say the solution once again!
    As you read through these threads time and time again you hear the tale of how the "repair" kit was installed and it either did not work or, failed again after a short period of time.
    The only known cure is to remove the Cesspool Water Heater from service and replace it with a Bradford-White or, Rheem Water Heater.

It's that simple!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED View Post
    reasonable thinking aside from the cost perspective and peace of mind, you pull that hammer back, aim and shoot at the half dead animal on the side of the road, and put the whole thing out of its misery. I gotta stop...lol.

So are you two gonna foot the next "Water Heater Bailout bill"?

I think most everyone on here (customers not businesses) bought the Whirlpoo because it was a name they knew and a name grown to trust. Unfortunately there are companies that buy up these names and then sell JUNK under the trusted name. So then the poor suckers (me included) come here and try to find out information (17 pages of it) only to be jumped on for thinking that maybe just maybe they can salvage the 300+ bucks they just lost. In today's economy it is hard to get that 300 back again. OF COURSE the next time we buy we will be getting something more substantial but who in their right mind would have thought at first glance Whirlpool was not substantial? First indicator should have been that it was at LOWES but hey, who wants the high pressure sales in a heating and cooling/plumbing shop? I just want a water heater and go home. That and Lowes is open when I can get there and do not need to take time off of work cause I really need the extra money to pay for the water heater... Personally I have been taken to the cleaners by more heating/cooling guys then I have by Lowes.

Tell you what, next time you get the urge to state your "solution" again, maybe you can tell us all exactly how you would do this without just throwing this FG (or BFG) thing into a truck and dumping it into the bay (or pulling a trigger so to speak). How could we maybe get something out of Lowes or American that we can actually use towards buying a Bradford White (whose name will be forever in my mind from reading your solution after every post). Think about it as if it were YOUR money you were throwing away, think as if YOU were a customer.

p.s. It is NOT in my nature to give up on a problem. I like to figure it out for myself and take pride in my work. If I had listened every time someone told me to just give up and throw something away I would be a much poorer man now. I believe you must be the same way otherwise you would not even be on here. And yes I do take it personal that you think we are all idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by edgrimly View Post
    So are you two gonna foot the next "Water Heater Bailout bill"?

I think most everyone on here (customers not businesses) bought the Whirlpoo because it was a name they knew and a name grown to trust. Unfortunately there are companies that buy up these names and then sell JUNK under the trusted name. So then the poor suckers (me included) come here and try to find out information (17 pages of it) only to be jumped on for thinking that maybe just maybe they can salvage the 300+ bucks they just lost. In today's economy it is hard to get that 300 back again. OF COURSE the next time we buy we will be getting something more substantial but who in their right mind would have thought at first glance Whirlpool was not substantial? First indicator should have been that it was at LOWES but hey, who wants the high pressure sales in a heating and cooling/plumbing shop? I just want a water heater and go home. That and Lowes is open when I can get there and do not need to take time off of work cause I really need the extra money to pay for the water heater... Personally I have been taken to the cleaners by more heating/cooling guys then I have by Lowes.

Tell you what, next time you get the urge to state your "solution" again, maybe you can tell us all exactly how you would do this without just throwing this FG (or BFG) thing into a truck and dumping it into the bay (or pulling a trigger so to speak). How could we maybe get something out of Lowes or American that we can actually use towards buying a Bradford White (whose name will be forever in my mind from reading your solution after every post). Think about it as if it were YOUR money you were throwing away, think as if YOU were a customer.

p.s. It is NOT in my nature to give up on a problem. I like to figure it out for myself and take pride in my work. If I had listened every time someone told me to just give up and throw something away I would be a much poorer man now. I believe you must be the same way otherwise you would not even be on here. And yes I do take it personal that you think we are all idiots.
    Ed,

Believe me I understand your situation! I wouldn't like being in your position either! Sometimes you just have to be a realist though and in the case of these water heaters the design is flawed and American Water Heaters is not offering a solution. They have adopted the position of offereing 1/2 hearted "solutions" that fail to address the real issue of airflow into the burner, while they continue to offer and sell the flawed merchandise through Lowes resorting even to the trickery of substituting differend brand names of the same defective design. Until they either redesign the water heater to truly fix it or, pull it from the market there is no solution.

Put yourself in my shoes... I get called to go to a house and fix something that can't be fixed. I install the factory kit and it seems to work I write out the bill, get paid and leave. The problem is now that I own this water heater. I guarantee my work 6 months on repairs. Now several days later you call me back and the water heater is not working yet again. I'm fixing it for free! How many times in the next 6 months? Sorry! I know about the problem and all I can do is say what I say here! I have to work and make a profit in order to make a living. I cannot substidize the deceiteful business practices of American Water Heaters and Lowes. All I can do is call a spade a spade and hope that enough people see it that the future victims will be limited.

If I were you I'd pull that junker out and deliver it to Lowes and loudly state your case and demand your money back! They are the ones who continue to smile and bank the profits as they "build something together with you" then point to the sticker on the water heater that says not to return it to Lowes but call American Water Heaters India help line!

If you were to take your hotwater heater back to Lowe's (and I mean physically have it there with you), Lowe's will call me at Whirlpool and I will authorize an RA#.....but you have to have the tank with you.

Also, if your plumber/technician says you need a new one, they can fax over to Whirlpool their recommendation to replace, and we will follow through.

Quote Originally Posted by Evo_guy View Post
    If you were to take your hotwater heater back to Lowe's (and I mean physically have it there with you), Lowe's will call me at Whirlpool and I will authorize an RA#.....but you have to have the tank with you.

Also, if your plumber/technician says you need a new one, they can fax over to Whirlpool their recommendation to replace, and we will follow through.
    Does that mean thay they will be getting a "nice new" Whirlpool water heater or, they will get cash back so they can get a good water heater installed?