(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking check your e-mail john

I sent you info on where to get a Bradford....

let me know

You really gotta have both the model # and serial # on hand or they can't help you.
    Note: I am a DIY'er and not a professional. My posts here are observations / opinions and may or may not be in accordance with your local ordinances.

I called the WP tech number today and got a guy in India. He was very helpful, registered my heater for me and is overnighting the new manifold kit to me. All I had to pay was the 18 bucks. I figured I can take a chance on that before I replace this one with a Rheem.

Are the GE/Rheem heaters from Home Depot any good?

Also, thank you very much Mark for the info on the Bradford Heater I will certainly keep that in mind if I need to replace this Flame Lock.

Just be ready to replace that gas valve...I got the kit and it fired up ok for one round and then didn't work. The valves are available at Low3s.

You should drain and flush it out too while you're at it.
    Note: I am a DIY'er and not a professional. My posts here are observations / opinions and may or may not be in accordance with your local ordinances.

First I suppose I have to get the part. It was supposed to arrive today but no dice. What gas valve at Lowes are we talking about?

Thanks guys

John

Default I Got A Bradford White!!!

Hello all!
    I finally had enough of this "Whirlpool" tank. The smell started again, and I decided to check into something else.
    My Plumber friend told me that he did not think I would be happy with a "tankless" due to my hot water usage, and liking really hot water, and lot's of it. I have two big front load washer that run often, even while showers are going. So, he talked me into a Bradford White Power Vent. It is a 50 gallon tank. He told me that they were so efficient, that it would seem "tankless" because of the fast recovery rate. I trust him, and so I said go for it.
    Well, he is correct. This bad boy Bradford heated the water after installed in 35 minutes! I thought something was wrong. So I ran upstairs, and it was amazing hot. This was yesterday. Since then, I have ran washers, two showers, and the dishwasher, and can't seem to make it run out of hot water! This morning for instance I took a 20 minute shower. (yes I am timing them) After the water was turned off, it took 16 minutes to heat to satisfaction. I was shocked. The Whirlpool would have taken about 40 minutes.
    It is amazing to me that the flue for the Bradford does not get very hot. To me that is using the gas for working, and heating the water and not going up the hot flue. With the Whirlpool, you could not touch the flue for longer than 2 seconds, or you would get burned.
    Can you tell that I am happy??? This is the first time in ages that I can take a shower without adjusting the shower as the water in the tank cooled down!
    I owe it all to you guys! For telling me I was such an idiot to by the Whirlpool, but telling me to buy a Bradford White! Thanks all!
    Oh, and about Rheem......the headquarters are here in Atlanta! I could not get any help at all from them! They kept telling me that they would call me back, and never would. Long story short. The company that sold me the Bradford said: "If you think they are bad when you are trying to buy, try to get them when you have a problem with their heater."
    You guys are the best!
    Have a great weekend.
    Brent in Atlanta

Ok I have decided. I am going to get the Bradford and White to replace the flamelock before I have to dump any cash into this thing. Does anyone have any experience with returning one of these things to Lowes? I am thinking if nothing else I can complain my way into a store credit.

Thanks,

John

Blog Entries

Talking have a barbecue in their parking lot

Well ....you can always try to get something
    back form them but I think its doubtful and it
    depends on the mood of the store manager

it really depends on your "whineing skills"....

threaten to set it on fire out in the parking lot.

have hot dogs and buns ready
    that might persuade them to give you a store
    credit

Tell him he can either take it back quietly or its coming through the front window at high velocity...

Threaten to call corporate hq...then watch as the staff runs around like a headless chicken. And if they don't...Actually call One guy got his whole kitchen redone doing that....

Well the Bradford heater is in place and works like a dream. I took an extended shower today and did not have to adjust the faucet at all. That was not the case with the WP even when it was first installed.

I also had great luck with Lowes. My mother in law happened to be in there on Sunday looking at water softeners. An older gentleman came up and asked if she needed any help. She explains to him that she came in determined to buy a softener but she can see that they only have Whirlpool and now she has some reservations. She then explains that her son in law has been to her house 3 times that week to take a hot shower because of his WP water heater problems.

The guy knew exactly what model and such she was talking about explains about the class action and assures her that the softener is not made by the same company as the water heater (which of course is true). He then passed her on to a younger guy who talked further with her about the softener and my heater. He advises her to have me bring in the old heater and they will give me a new one. She asked who I should see and he says "Me I am the store manager" and hands her his business card.

Now I am not interested in another WP and had already put in a Bradford. So I go into Lowes anyway and present the card to the customer service desk. The Store manager was not in so they had me talk to an assistant manager. I explain that they had told me they would give me a new one however I had already replaced it. I told them I had the old one in my truck in the parking lot and thought I would come in and see the store manager, as instructed, to see if there was anything they could do in the way of a store credit.

She asked me a couple questions and we talked a bit about the dead end one hits with the WP customer service and then she tells me to bring the old heater into the store. She then authorizes a full store credit for the 390.00 I paid 3 years ago for the heater. I was friggin' stoked because they really did not have to do that.

I thanked her and went directly back to the appliance dept. where I bought a Fridgidare dishwasher to replace our old worn out White Westinghouse.

All that and I didn't have to get crappy with anyone. This thread and members of this forum saved me a ton of headache and frustration. I am so grateful that I found this site.

Thanks all,

John
    Last edited by JohnINLafayette; 03-12-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Blog Entries

Talking you should have got crappy ....just for the fun of it....

That is great that you got the heater exchanged for a total
    refund.... and it looks like you came out smelling like
    a rose for what you paid for the Bradford.....

but just for meaness and spite you should have at least
    thrown a --- mini hissey fit----

I am surprised that they did not fight youi or
    give you some sort of "pro rated" allowance...

maybe they have seen enough "hissey fits" over this heater
    in their store already........too much aggravation......

and have simply given up and thrown in the towell.

good luck with the Bradford.

DIY Junior Member

Talking Am I In Trouble

Model Number- Fg1j5040t3nov
    Installed April 2005
    Pilot Light Went Out Yesterday Took About Thirty Times B-4 It Lighted. After Tank Was Heated Pilot Went Out Again. Relit On First Try And Is Still On 24 Hrs. Later. This Is The First Time This Has Happend But After Reading This Thread "am I In Trouble ? "
    I Don't Know A Thing About Water Heaters And Until Yesterday I Have Never Even Tried To Light A Pilot Light. Can Someone Please Advise.

Clean the air intake screen on the bottom. Also, if it has the round sight glass to look at the pilot light then call the 800# in this thread and press 2. Talk to a tech and tell them you need the upgrade kit for that, and while you're at it be assertive in your request for a new gas valve.

DIY Junior Member

So This Model Is One Of The Bad Ones???