(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

Threaded View

DIY Junior Member

Hey guys just found this while searching around for my water heater, an American Water Heater. We moved into our current house (build in 05) in August and honestly I don't think I even looked at the water heater until Thanksgiving day when I hopped in the shower and couldn't get hot water even with the knob turned all the way to hot. Went downstairs and found the instruction manual down there near the water heater and found that the pilot light was out. After looking at the diagrams and reading the instructions a hundred times (water heater newb here) I got the pilot lit and cranked the water heater up and was back in business! Pretty proud of myself, but had to take a quick cold shower. Oh well the next one will be hot.

Came home from Thanksgiving festivities and ran downstairs to check the pilot. Out again! Pushed the clicker and got it going. Found online that I may need a thermocouple. Went to ******* to get a thermocouple but blast they only have right hand thread ones! Came home from ******* and the pilot light was out again. This is getting old. Now it won't stay lit once I let go of the red button. No more hot water for us .

Is the number I call to get a thermo the one on the side of the unit (800-999-9515)? I realize I am just delaying the inevitable after reading through this thread, but I need to get the water hot for now, and a quality unit isn't exactly in the budget right now. I want to give it one last try with a new thermocouple and cleaning the screen. Our unit is up on some 3" blocks so I could get my Shop Vac in there at least.

For the future, what is a good price, installed by a plumber, for a Rheem unit?

Thanks for reading,
    Rob
    Last edited by rdlsz24; 11-29-2009 at 09:07 PM.