(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Whirlpool Flame Lock water heaters, reviews, troubleshooting, repair and support.

If you've read through the thread, you already know that the only reasonable course of action is to take the heater back to Lowe's and go out and get a Bradford White or Rheem unit somewhere.

If you continue with what you have, it is highly likely that you will experience continuing problems.

Based on the posts from other members above, it appears that it is not a problem to return the heater to Lowe's.

Default whirlpool junk now what

Hey I've been following the threads about my whirlpool water holder(heater would be a misnomer). Last week my tenant called to tell me she had no hot water. I tried the usual things. Pilot wouldn't stay lit blah blah. Called Hodgy in India and he said they would send me the replacement part for free and then offered me a menu of prices depending on how fast I needed it. I thought at that moment how long would the wife of the president of Whirlpool put up with not having hot water. I took the two day delivery for 20.00. I figured out how to install it and vacumed the screen and also around the tank. That being said it's worked for 4 hours so far. That particular 40 gal. tank was purchased by my ex-wife for that house(whole nother story) ANyway I was upset because about a month ago I had a problem with a whirlpool water heater I bought at Loews(I know ugh). I had no idea! Anyway I called whirlpool because it was less than a year old. This time american chick on the phone sent a local plumber over N/C. He didn't even really look at it before he whipped out a new control box and just arbitrarily started to install it! I said "I guess they know the units are junk." Anyway now it seems like it doesn't give me a full tank of hot water. While I'm showering I have to keep turning down the cold water to keep the water hot. By the time I'm done showering the cold is all the way OFF! What the hell is going on now?? Two whirlpools two problems both junk. Uhm my bathtub doesn't hold 40 gallons of hot water. UNBELIEVABLE! Anyway who can help me with this new charming feature of american water world? Besides a bullet in the back of my head...Thanks Doug

Did you check to see if he changed the temp at on the dial and didn't turn it back up...it sounds like it is set very low or the gas valve / thermostat is bad

Default THanks

Wanted to thank everybody for the information. I have just expereinced this problem in one of our rentals and with the input, its a lot easier decision just to replace it then try to fix it. The unit was 2 years old and it was in a new house.

I do kind of take exception to Rugged. He makes the argument that because we picked a low price product we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I can tell you I hire a lot of contractors and beleive me there is no reason to trust anyone just because they happen to be a plumber. There are some honest, dishonest, Ignorant and smart plumbers. My experience in contracting is I have hired many plumbers and then had to have our crew go behind them to do the job right, many times.

I would think you could trust Lowes and Whirlpool as much as you could trust your average plumber. In fact it seems that Lowes in case after case has tried to take back units they were selling. Seems like the right thing to do.

In consumer reports they do scientific and extensive testing on many products and very often the highest priced product is not rated the best. Sure their results are occaisionally controversial but at least their based on science and most major products are tested.

Take for example, a plumber that might have a charge account with a plumbing supply company that handles one type of water heater or maybe only one type in stock so he gets that one, or maybe he gets a bigger discount on one brand than the other. How is this different than buying one as cheap as possible at Lowes.

Recently I went into Discount Tire and the salesman tried to upsale me on tires saying that the ratings on treadware were meaningless and essentialy I just had to take his word on it. He further stated that the manufacturers themselves give these ratings and therefore they could not be trusted. I told him let me think about it, I then went back to the office where I googled it and in fact he was wrong, the manufactures dont provide this information but that all tires are taken to the same test track and ran through the same course, to get these ratings. So much for trusting the Salesperson.

A lot of times products are priced according to who buys them. There is one major paint company that sells paint in Consumer Grade and Contractor Grade for 30% less, and it's the same paint.

You can pay the same amount of money for a top of the line cadillac and a similar featured lexus but if you think there is any comparison in reliability look at the April issue of consumer reports. This information comes directly from the consumers. There is no comparison between these two cars in reliability even though they might be priced about the same.

I do think that a company that doesnt stand behind their product should be put out of business by customers telling the whole world. This forum has at least helped me and now I know to stay away from American water heaters.

The bottom line is if your going to spend money on something that can burn your house down or blow up or flood your house or cost a lot of money its probably worth doing some reserach on the water heater and the plumber and that doesnt mean just asking the guy with a horse in the race.

By the way I have bought several houses over the years that have caught on fire becuase of water heater malfunction or improper installation.

Ray
    Last edited by firepro; 03-04-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Default Another Flame Lock Sucker

I have a Whirlpool Flame Lock LP water heater. Wish I didn't. Model # BFG1F5040T3PV. Bought it March 10, 2008 from my local Lowe's in Newton, NJ. The unit crapped out last Sunday. Pilot won't stay lit. Whirlpool or American sent me a box containing an entire burner unit assembly. Only needed a thermocouple. Got the new TC off the new assembly and replaced my existing. This one lit once and won't light again. Whirlpool is disappointing.

If it won't light with the new one it is because the Gas control valve is the problem not the thurmocouple...

Last edited by Terry; 06-14-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firepro View Post

By the way I have bought several houses over the years that have caught on fire becuase of water heater malfunction or improper installation.

Ray
    If you have that many homes that have caught fire because of the water heater then any home you buy in the future you should change the heater from gas to electric...you are jinxed...I do work for a LL that has close to 200 scattered single family rentals with about 90% or more of them gas water heaters and in the almost 20 years I have been working for him can't recall 1 fire he has had caused from a water heater...
    Last edited by Cass; 03-05-2009 at 03:13 AM.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking the secret...

Quote Originally Posted by Flamelocksucks View Post
    I have a Whirlpool Flame Lock LP water heater. Wish I didn't. Model # BFG1F5040T3PV. Bought it March 10, 2008 from my local Lowe's in Newton, NJ. The unit crapped out last Sunday. Pilot won't stay lit. Whirlpool or American sent me a box containing an entire burner unit assembly. Only needed a thermocouple. Got the new TC off the new assembly and replaced my existing. This one lit once and won't light again. Whirlpool is disappointing.

you got to get it more air, it needs more air...
    changeing out the thermocoupling is simply not enough...

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Flamelocksux,
    Did you test the thermocouple with a multi meter¿ Or how are you determining that it is the thermocouple¿ Worked on one the other day and tested the thermocouple first, it went up in millivolts DC like it should. Pilot still would not stay lit. Called American told them I tested the tc and they overnighted free of charge a gas control valve. Did the trick. Oh, yeah, due to a "glitch" in their system the part took two days.

Disconnect thermocouple from gas control, set multi meter to millivolts DC to a range within 200, attach with alligator clips red test lead to copper part of thermocouple and black test lead to silver end of thermocouple. Follow pilot lighting procedure and once pilot light lights with red button on gas control pushed down watch the multimeter. If it goes up from 0-12 millivolts or more thermocouple is good. One I tested went to 17 before I called it good.

Last edited by Terry; 06-14-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Default Got refund from Lowe's!

We purchased a Whirlpool 30gallon water heater with the flame lock model in November of 2007 from Lowes. As many people have reported, the pilot light would not stay on. My husband first went to our local small business plumbing supply store to get a replacement part. The owner told him that he hears about this problem at least once a week! My husband researched the model number and found many complaints about customers dealing with both Lowes and Whirlpool.

So, we decided to attempt returning the faulty water heater back to Lowe’s and request our money back $348. At first, the customer service manager told us that the standard procedure to correct the problem is for us to work directly with the manufacturer. We told her that we researched the repair on-line, were shocked to find the many customer complaints and that we did not want to spend the time and energy in repairing it. We printed the first 5 pages of the water heater complaints from the Consumer Affairs site and showed them to her, pointing out the 182 total pages with the most recent complaints on 3/3/2009. We told her that we were very surprised that Lowe’s continued to sell an inferior quality water heater, even after a class action suit. She picked up the phone and talked to another manager. They both agreed they had not heard about this issue before, but agreed to refund the money. Lowe’s returned our money! Way to go Lowe’s.

I hope that others can benefit from our experience and can get their money back. As some of the writers said, when a water heater goes out, one does not make the time to research because it really is an emergency to get hot water running in the home. So, don’t buy one from Lowe’s!

Almost 54,000 views of this thread...
    We'd like to think it did some good!
    Evidently in your case the research worked.
    I do hope that you picked up a Bradford White or, Rheem as a replacement.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking fooling with an LP gas unit

I know that I am just repeating myself,
    but fooling with an LP water heater is fairley dangerous ,,,

and then to be expected to break it down every so
    often to clean the air screen is absolutely insane.

why not give a monkey a loaded revolver with the hammer
    cocked back and see what will eventually happen???

and they send you the wrong parts so you can play russian roulette
    with your LP water heater... I think that is just wonderful.

I wonder what kind of insurance Whirlpooh has that allows
    them to send out parts to people that have never
    messed with GAS water heaters before??.

either way good luck...be careful

http://weilhammerplumbing.com/galleryiii/

t

Default whirlpool heater

The thermostat control valve is turned all the way up and as a matter of fact I had this problem before a tech came out and replaced it so what else might it be???

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

What might what else be¿

Whirlpool or American sent me a box containing an entire burner unit assembly. Only needed a thermocouple. .
    It's not going to be the T/Couple. It's going to be the G/Valve. Let me spell that out just so you're not confused...... it's going to be the gas valve. The t/couple is protected by the thermal switch. I recommend you clean the ft-vent at least twice a year. Go through Whirlpool to get the g/valve. Lowe's doesn't have any. I think they can ship it to you for free and for overnight.