Well Problems after 2 years of operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

milkman1

Network Engineer
Reaction score
View attachment 13989View attachment 13990

A two year old well with a massive growth where the metal pipe meets the well pump, which resulted in a leak. As the pipes were pulled I saw several sections with heavy rusting spot which is NOT a good sign. Any suggestions on how to fix this situation? I'm mad as hell, any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

milkman1

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Some Stats:
-2hp submersible pump at 480'
-Galvanized steel pipes

Analytical Results of Water:
-Chloride 133 mg/L
-Hardness 492 mg/L
-Nitrate -N 8.06 mg/L
-Sulfate 315 mg/L
-copper 0.005 mg/L
-Iron <0.05 mg/L
-Magnesium 68.2 mg/L
-Sodium 105 mg/L
-Zinc 5.62 mg/L
-pH 7.77

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can use sch 120 PVC pipe. Or at least a few joints of PVC down in the water. Steel pipe should never be screwed to the pump or a check valve without using electric tape to cover the connection. About 20 cents worth of tape in the right spot and you would never have rusted a hole in that pipe.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
About 20 cents worth of tape in the right spot and you would never have rusted a hole in that pipe.
I wonder if anyone has tried using heat shrink tubing? By the looks of the picture, the tape they used was starting to unravel.

My guess is that the electrical service ground is inadequate and that there was an electrical current via the protection ground causing electrolysis to liberate oxygen from the water.

milkman1

Network Engineer
Reaction score
So the Electrical Wires are shielded and insulated…. to your point, I did noticed the pipe looks “New” where the tape was used to secure the electrical wires. I’m furious with the driller about connecting that cheap crap steel pipe directly to the pump. I’m thinking about going with SCH 120 PVC pipes for the entire job.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Since you are in S. Cal you can bet your pipe is the cheapest Cr%^ that he could buy and the Asians cast from our old rebar. Or melted down 1940's USA pipe that lasted until 1990.

I would never put that sabotage pipe in my drinking water. PVC only or even 200 PSI Poly.

If he had used rubber splicing tape and then Scotch 33, at least that portion would remain. But all the other joints will rot inside and out.

The old school guys love iron, because only they can pull it with LOOOONG labor and big machines, and it insures the call backs.

The only pipe, if you love iron, would be a US made pipe with SPECS as to metallurgy and zinc thickness. Otherwise, join the new century and set plastic pipe that you can be sure your grandkids can put back in the well. Steel is for fences, axles, and oil wells.

Electrolysis is a major science in metal piping, but here you just have "harbor fright" pipe, with varying wall thickness and uneven galvanizing [the spots you saw] Its called the begining of the end of America from Chinese industrial sabotage.

Headlines in the Wall Street Journal today about the Chinese stealing superconducting software used in US wind turbines that looks like it will close a few major American factories and eventually give them the entire industry.

Between Canada and the US and Mexico, not a single rolling pin or clothespin factory remains. They are working now on our last wooden match factory, and when a country can't make matches, the end is near.
Vietnam single handedly closed 28+ furniture factories in the East US and put hundreds of thousands out of work.

But hey -it's Free trade and NAFTA and "favored nation" status, so WE can become a third world nation.

Last edited:

milkman1

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Since you are in S. Cal you can bet your pipe is the cheapest Cr%^ that he could buy and the Asians cast from our old rebar. Or melted down 1940's USA pipe that lasted until 1990.

I would never put that sabotage pipe in my drinking water. PVC only or even 200 PSI Poly.

If he had used rubber splicing tape and then Scotch 33, at least that portion would remain. But all the other joints will rot inside and out.

The old school guys love iron, because only they can pull it with LOOOONG labor and big machines, and it insures the call backs.

The only pipe, if you love iron, would be a US made pipe with SPECS as to metallurgy and zinc thickness. Otherwise, join the new century and set plastic pipe that you can be sure your grandkids can put back in the well. Steel is for fences, axles, and oil wells.

Electrolysis is a major science in metal piping, but here you just have "harbor fright" pipe, with varying wall thickness and uneven galvanizing [the spots you saw] Its called the begining of the end of America from Chinese industrial sabotage.

Headlines in the Wall Street Journal today about the Chinese stealing superconducting software used in US wind turbines that looks like it will close a few major American factories and eventually give them the entire industry.

Between Canada and the US and Mexico, not a single rolling pin or clothespin factory remains. They are working now on our last wooden match factory, and when a country can't make matches, the end is near.
Vietnam single handedly closed 28+ furniture factories in the East US and put hundreds of thousands out of work.

But hey -it's Free trade and NAFTA and "favored nation" status, so WE can become a third world nation.

Good Stuff!!!!

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
High grade poly is what most use in my area. That way if you have to lift it out to change a submersible pump you just start walking up the street pulling up the poly. Have changed one pump about four years ago and it made it so much easier then what I have heard the guy's with the ridged pipe have to do.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
High grade poly is what most use in my area...
Perhaps you missed that the OP has a 480 foot deep well. The weight of the water column alone would be 206 PSI (depending on static water table) so add a working pressure of 100 and a margin of 60 and you would need 366 PSI poly. Where can you buy that?

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
Perhaps you missed that the OP has a 480 foot deep well. The weight of the water column alone would be 206 PSI (depending on static water table) so add a working pressure of 100 and a margin of 60 and you would need 366 PSI poly. Where can you buy that?

Yes I did miss that, My area wells run from 45 to 150 ft. or so. Thanks for the correction.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bingo!! You can't just think that poly is acceptable on every job. Sch 80 PVC is rated for like 800 psi. Sch 120 would be even better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks