Water Heater Rust

Users who are viewing this thread

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
Hi all,
I have had a electric 28 gallon lowboy water heater that was disconnected and empty about two years at my beach house and now I have been flushing it with fresh water and was wondering if the rusty water I am seeing will ever get clear. It has almost cleared up but does not seem to be getting any better. I am doing this outside with a hose hooked up and at the moment do not have the funds for a new one. Does anyone know if this water heater is trashed from sitting. Just trying to save a buck. The heater was only in use for about three years before taken out.

Thanks,
Ron

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Fill it up, bleed the air out, close the valve while it's pressurized and see if it leaks. The rust isn't great. Pull the anode rod, see it's state of affairs, and replace if it's degraded and hope.

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
Thanks for the info guys, I will give these a try. Also "ballvalve", Thanks for the links. That is some great info.
I guess the tank I have is either glass or porcelain lined so I don't think it is the tank rusting it just might be from the old high iron well water that was running though it before I took it out. I will do a good cleaning and let you know how it works out. I guess a product like CLR would be to strong of a chemical? Should I look for a lime and rust remover just for hot water heaters and maybe give that a try?

Thanks again for the info.

Ron

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The glass lining is NOT perfect, if it were the heater would NOT need an anode rod. More than likely the metal tank HAS rusted where the glassliner failed, and if so, it is too late for an anode rod to help it. If the tank had been left full of water, the anode rod MIGHT have helped, but now I think you are either in the market for a new tank, or will have to live with rusty water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Suggest when you reinstall it (if you don't decide to get a new one), to install it in a drain pan. You may need it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks