(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: basement shower drain

Thanks - your pictures and suggestions were pretty much what I'd been thinking.

I've got about 7 1/2 - 8" to the water in the trap. So it would seem I've enough room to fit in the adapter and keep the new drain low enough. Another question with this - should I refill that broken out area with something like pea gravel?

I hadn't given much consideration to drain types up till now. I just wanted one that would 'work' and not be too much trouble installing. Seems I'd have to order anything other than what I showed above. I'm not sure of their manufacturer, the local go-to plumbing supply as well as Home Depot seemed to only have those in stock. I'm open to suggestions. This shower is in an extra bath and I want it nice but nothing showroom/Fine Homebuilding type. Your work looks gorgeous. I'm planning fairly basic tho with a small seat and a nook above which I think is within my skills. I'm putting in a mid range basic shower head and controller, of course the old one wasn't anti-scald anyway and I'll redo a bit of the old inlet water lines which were rather creatively placed. I've got the time and try to not rush, ask plenty of questions and think things thru and try to keep costs down that way.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

While you can do a monument bench and waterproof that and a niche with various materials, I really do suggest you look into surface membranes. Waterproofing a seat can be tricky if you haven't done it before. Also, you might consider something like a BetterBench, either a corner or side. These are pretty bulletproof, easy to install, and make the shower feel bigger since you can face it and still have someplace for your feet to go. http://innoviscorp.com/better-bench
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Drain options for basement showers - guest bath

Post(s) removed by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-18-2014 at 07:24 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Blog Entries

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Wow, thanks for the attention and advice.

I donít have firm plans yet. This grew from tracking down a leak on the other side of the wall, which has plumbing for laundry, outside faucet as well as a bath above. I expect the downstairs was left unfinished by the original builders and done DIY at a later date. They had a fiberglass shower surround basically unattached to the house drain with some odd framing to support it as it was somewhat smaller than the space available. Before firming up the new shower plans I wanted to make sure of what is available and what Iíll need to deal with so I donít overreach or plan something undoable. At some point we did intend to redo this bath, just not this soon. So Iíd like to have something that will work with future renovation of the rest of the bath too. The toilet is kind of awkwardly situated. It looks worse in the sketch than reality but does seem to preclude a door rather than curtain without making some bigger changes.Name:  Shower.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  27.1 KB

The drain is off center by a couple inches which I figured would cause grief with a prebuilt pan, and it seems a tiled shower as big as possible in the space would be nicer which is what led to me to figure on making a mud/tile pan.

The more I look at idea books and remodel websites like Houzz and many others, the easier it is to start thinking a bit grandiose. Iíd like nice, but also not too spendy and not too complicated as I am intending to do as much as I can myself. I put in a jetted tub and shower last year where previous owners had taken a regular tub/shower out to make a laundry area (which I put back downstairs). That went well. The tiling wasnít too fancy, some design accents and a premade shelf and that was kind of fun. Iíve done various PVC as well as copper sweating then and for home plumbing repair over the years, and feel pretty comfortable with that. Iím sure no pro in any of this Ė not up on the latest (or even most of the old ways) but try and take the time to learn and avoid mistakes.

So my general idea for this shower is still pretty flexible and definitely open to suggestion and advice. I was planning a basic mud pan Ė like is shown on various how-to sites and books: preslope, rubber liner, final mortar with a 3 piece drain and tile. I can certainly see the advantage to using a material like Kerdi or Nobel and am considering that once I look a bit more at price and availability/shipping. Along with the mud pan I figured on using concrete board/wonder board with plastic behind for the walls. The space above the ledge from the foundation blocks just seemed a natural spot to have space for a decent sized nook. Iím aware as an outside wall itíll be colder, but the same wall in the bathroom doesnít have issues with that and itíll allow for a slightly deeper nook. I expected to build that along the lines of several how-toís, size somewhat depending on what we choose for the tile. I was wondering if fiberglassing the 2x4 and plywood box might make for better waterproofing, but Iím not sure how tile would do with that. On the same wall I was thinking of a narrowish (10Ē) bench, built in with the pan ending at itís base. I understand too what jadnashua is saying and havenít ruled out using a premade bench and/or nook insert too.

I was thinking of marble or granite tile for the bench seat and nook bottom as well as perhaps the top of the entry curb. Itíd be contrast/accent to the rest of the tiling and would have fewer seams than the 6Ē tile I was considering for the rest.

I hadnít even thought of other than the basic drains, but I do like the looks of some of these others, especially that tiled one. That seems very doable. I like the looks of that Noble flashing/divot drain. I have to look at that a bit more.

Again, wow Ė thanks for all the help.

Blog Entries

FWIW, Kerdi membrane is 1M wide (39.37"), not 36". Noble makes nice stuff, too.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I cut out a decent hole in my concrete floor. Went easier and better than I worried it could. Down about 4" to reinforcing(?) wire grid where I'll stop till I have in hand the drain and connection I'll use - no point going further than needed. Time now to firm up design and get supplies.

I have not found Nobel, Mapei, etc. around here. In fact I've only found PVC liner only at Home Depot. Central Plumbing and Heating supply, Lowes, Home Depot. I'm drawing a blank on someplace local that stocks this stuff retail. I can order hardware and even the membrane stuff online if need be.

You guys have been a big help. Thanks.

A conventional shower would work, but I like some of the newer alternatives better. You may want to run your plans by the building inspector. The other methods are approved, but if they aren't familiar with them, they can give you grief. Best to download and print the certifications for the system you settle on and maybe the installation instructions and have them in hand when applying for the permit (assuming you are).

When I did a shower at my mother's house, I e-mailed the inspector the links to those items (this was 400-miles away so I wanted to clear the path before starting), and he had no problems. But, it was the first time he'd seen or approved one using that method. It's always best to have the inspector in tune first rather than having discord - he generally wins.
    Last edited by jadnashua; 09-22-2011 at 04:02 AM.
    Jim DeBruycker

Blog Entries