Double Basin Sink - Backup

Users who are viewing this thread

jaspol

Reaction score
Hoping someone can offer some help...

I just undid the plumbing under the kitchen sink - 2 basin sink (the alignment is such the basin on the left hangs lower and further back than the basin on the right), no garbage disposal. It was draining slowly, but draining. So I cleaned all the pipes, put a fernco adapter on the pvc line out where it meets the old metal pipe in the wall (when I undid the pipes and put things back together the 1st time it was leaking at this spot), fixed the p-trap (it was actually installed backwards or in reverese so the high end was closest to the line out) and even snaked a bit of the pipes behind the wall.

Things work fine now when I run the water at a trickle or at medium speed. When I dump a lot of water down the sink, or run the water quickly, it quickly stops draining and water comes in through the other sink basin. The two basins connect at a T in the middle of the assembly and I even ran the water without one of the T's being closed off to watch the water. The faster the water (or more water), that is when it wanted to come out the other end of the T (and if it was connected, up through the other sink).

All the other drains in the house are working fine.

I've attached a picture (assuming I can get the attachment feature to work). Does the height here of the line out and the trap and the sinks basins matter / is it an issue? Before I redid this, the other thing different was the lines from the sink basins were longer (because the p-trap was reversed and therefore hung lower). If the picture doesn't work, both basins feed directly to a T. The other part of the T goes to the P-trap, and then out.

I'm stuck as to what to do now - other than not run a lot of water. I know the moment I turn on the dishwasher though, it'll backup.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

jaspol

Reaction score
Under Sink.jpg

Thanks appreciate it. The initial snaking got in about 5 feet before I couldn't get it further - not sure what it got caught up on. I'll continue to try

My real question...the drop from the sink basin to where it eventually meets the T piece is only about an 1 inch or two. Does it need more vertical drop or as long as it's a little lower, gravity does the rest?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The HEIGHT of the drain is okay. HOW it is put together makes it a "nightmare", but not for drainage reasons. It would have been difficult to assemble it using MORE slipnut joints than they did.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks