Water gurgling right at drain new sink

Users who are viewing this thread

PGragg

Reaction score
Just put in new vanity and vessel sink. Contractor had to reconfigure piping under sink with PVC. Sink came with pop-up stopper and tail piece. Loud water noise right below sink hole of water running through and some as it runs down PVC pipe to p trap. How do I fix it? It's loud and annoying but appears to be related to materials not any venting problems. Not a burgling, bubbling gurgle just trickling sounds.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Loud water noise right below sink hole of water running through and some as it runs down PVC pipe to p trap.

I have no idea what that means. What is the "sink hole" and is it running down the outside of the PVC pipe? Is the trap under the sink drain or off to the side?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's draining quckly, then there will be more noise.
Some lav drains are so gooed up, that they no longer drain quckly.

Can you post a picture?
800 pixels or less.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the popup is adjustable, set it so it doesn't open as wide and it will drain slower. Why did the contractor have to use PVC? Metal would be more quiet.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I would call the contractor back. Was this a plumbing contractor?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just put in new vanity and vessel sink. Contractor had to reconfigure piping under sink with PVC. Sink came with pop-up stopper and tail piece. Loud water noise right below sink hole of water running through and some as it runs down PVC pipe to p trap. How do I fix it? It's loud and annoying but appears to be related to materials not any venting problems. Not a burgling, bubbling gurgle just trickling sounds.
I also installed a vessel sink with a pop up stopper. The sink has no overflow hole, which a normal lav sink has, and water going down the drain pulls air down with it, air maybe that a normal sink with overflow would aid the water going down the tail piece quietly. My DIY 2 cents homeowners opinion. the noise never bothered me though, but it does exist. think of it as sounds of tranquility

PGragg

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments. If you see another thread on this, sorry. I couldn't find my original thread. My husband thinks the noise is loud because the contractor immediately stepped up the pipe size to 2" PVC. My husband thinks the piece under the tailpiece should be the same size and metal and go a little ways and then step up to the bigger pipe size. That's what the other sinks in my house have if they have to run a long ways down to mee the p trap. What do you all think?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not likely, but since we cannot hear the gurgling, (and "gurgling" can mean many things and have many causes), or see HOW he configured the drain line, (it is NOT likely to be 2" however), we cannot diagnose, or even comment, on it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...or see HOW he configured the drain line, (it is NOT likely to be 2" however), we cannot diagnose, or even comment, on it.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

I would terminate the PVC at the wall and go with an all metal trap and tailpiece.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks