Two quotes - difference of more than double? (pricey one doesn't even break cement)

Users who are viewing this thread

Bucky

Reaction score
I know, nobody wants to talk about money on here, but I'm really scratching my head on this one.

Need a rough in for a basement wet bar, which will be located directly next to current waste stack and supply lines. (First floor bathroom is directly above).

The first company I had out figured $1700 to run some PEX, break up the floor, and tie in the drain and vent.

The second company said they didn't need to break up the floor and that they'd just need to snap the stack above ground and attach a wye for the sink and run some PEX, but they wanted $3500.

They're both reputable companies.

You'd think that NOT breaking up the floor would cost less not more than double. I don't get it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd suggest at least one more estimate. Often a contractor will not want a job but will submit a very high estimate figuring that if they do end up with the job, they'll have a very high profit.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Agreed, get a third quote. Do not volunteer any details about the technical approach, let the contractor propose what he thinks will work best for this situation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even without breaking the floor, which would be the correct way if it would work, they would still need a vent, and normally, that would involve enough time and materials, to do it correctly, that it would make the $1,700.00 one questionable.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ rightly points out the "on the other hand" to my point about over pricing a job. If one estimate is considerably lower than another, perhaps the low bidder is going to take shortcuts. In either case, another estimate is certainly in order. Say nothing about the first 2, but you might ask how the venting is going to be dealt with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks