Continually draining

Users who are viewing this thread

Gloch

Reaction score
I have a Fleck 5600se system in my household of 7 people. We just installed the system over 6 months ago but recently it started continually running water into the drain. After looking at the manual, it sounds like there is a broken piston(?) or something in the timer. I had a guy come look at it and he indicated 2 things (1 the system would cost more to fix than it's worth and (2 the system is not big enough for my family size.

So my question is if the system is not capable of handling our usage needs and whether or not it should be fixed(I will do the repair myself) or replaced given the symptoms?

-gl

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would say that there is a seal that has a challenge..
If you go through the book, you will find a page that shows the spacers, seals, piston and the body along with other parts.
By putting it in bypass and starting a cycle to releave the pressure, the powerhead will come off and the plate under it and then the piston and seals and spacers come out... now for now you might try changing the line up of the seals ... ie taking the middle ones and moving them to the top and bottom .. Look them over at the same time to see if there are any breaks... or cuts...
If the piston or seals and spacers need to be replaced there are is few spots on the web that the rebuild kits can be had and most likely under 60.00 and then your time to put it back together.

What kind of water quality do you have?
Almost sounds like some one trying to make a sale of equipment...but that is just me.

Gloch

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I thought the same thing. It felt liek we were being sold a bridge :)

With this system, do you think he was off-base in telling me it couldn't handle the usage?

-gl

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe....
Depending on the water quality and the flow rate needed and the capacity needed.. it is possible.. but the questions would have to be answered first.
Hardness of the water, Iron if any in the water..
Bathrooms in the home.
You said 7 people, any Teenagers?

Gloch

Reaction score
Teenagers, yes. 3 of them. There are 3 full baths. The water without the softener is leaving a think coating on our dishes but, I still need to actually measure the hardness. I believe it is bad however.

-gl

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Debri can get caught in the spacer & seal which will cause a constant drain flow or one of the seals is pinched. Either way, it is a quick fix with little cost.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Teenagers, yes. 3 of them. There are 3 full baths. The water without the softener is leaving a think coating on our dishes but, I still need to actually measure the hardness. I believe it is bad however.

-gl
With out the hardness number and the size of the system in question it is hard too say undersized, or oversized...
Working with only 2 parts of the math problem is hard when there are other parts that need filling in.

Gloch

Reaction score
Debri can get caught in the spacer & seal which will cause a constant drain flow or one of the seals is pinched. Either way, it is a quick fix with little cost.

When you say "spacer and seal" what part of the softener are you referring to? Control valve?

-gl

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. The base of the control valve houses the piston and spacer & seals. If debri gets caught in them, the seal no longer seals and you get a constant flow to the drain. I found what looked like a piece of wood caught in the spacer about 2 weeks ago. Damn if I could figure out how wood got in there.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are spacers and seals in the valve body and they work with the piston to channel the water to go to the media or to different parts of the cleaning cycle.
Power head comes off and then the cover plate comes off and the piston and seals and spacers come out of the valve.
There are 4 spacers and 5 seals, I would say that possibly one of the middle three seals has a challenge and or the piston ..

Gloch

Reaction score
Thanks folks. I think this is beyond my abilities. I just need to find a local expert I can trust.

-gl

Gloch

Reaction score
Ok, I tested the hardness with one of the cheap Home Depot kits. The hardness came up around 250 parts/million. Again, I have 7 people - 3 of them are teens. My current system is a Fleck 5600se. Do you think it is a good match?

-gl

Gloch

Reaction score
Sorry but, I am not sure what the resin tank is. Is it the one where the salt resides or the main tank?

-gl

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I was told you cannot go simply by the size of the tank, that some manufacturers may use the same size tank and use less media and different control valves.

Industry standard equipment uses the same size tanks and cuft of media as a standard. Those not doing so should be considered as not being the same value and improperly sized.

Kinda like a V8 engine usually having 8 cylinders and some manufacturer calling their engine a V8 but you count only 7 cylinders....

Control valves are used based on the size of the resin tank, the resin tank is sized by the cuft volume of resin needed based on the K of capacity which is dictated by the salt dose and salt efficiency of the softener.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks