Running 2 shower heads in shower only can I just use tub out on delta?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spunger1

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am doing a shower remodel in my master and ran into an odd problem I can't fully figure out. I have no tub but want 2 shower heads. I have the delta r1000 unws valve and then a 3 way diverter. On the delta valve it has openings for a tub and shower. Can I just feed one shower with the shower out and the other shower with the tub outlet? Basically getting rid of the diverter? Nothing has been installed yet because I'm not sure it can work like. The other valve is the r11000.

What do you guys think? I went with all delta stuff from their vero line so I have the rain shower head shower kit and then a small hand held one.

Any help would be appreciated.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Are you wanting both shower heads to be on at the same time? On my old shower, I had connected a hand shower to a wall union in the place of the tub spout and the "diverter" was really an A/B valve that selected between fixed shower and hand shower. When I redid my shower, I got rid of the diverter and just connected the single shower head to the tub filler port.

On many of the rough-in valve bodies, the shower port is smaller than the tub filler port. Depending on the GPM on the shower heads, there is the possibility that the tub port may steal some of the flow from the shower port.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Both outlets on that rough-in valve are open at the same time, so only if you want both heads to always be active could you use both - those ports are not a built-in diverter. What is probably the best is to install the valve body upside down so that the larger port is going up towards the showerheads and cap off the smaller, shower output. Keep the hot and cold coming in from the normal sides, though. Double-check, but I think the cartridge will fit in two ways, 180-degrees apart. Just make sure to insert with the top side pointing up.

Spunger1

Reaction score
I'll check the valves and see if I can do that as far as rotating it and installing the valve 180. I only want one shower head on at a time.

I am taking then since the r1000 has no diverter function then I need to keep my 3 way diverter and use that to make my shower heads work?

Thanks for the help guys!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Since you have a 3-way diverter and only want 2 shower heads, consider adding a toe-tester close to the floor to make good use of the third port.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
By "Three way diverter" he may mean three ports and one of them is the inlet. Otherwise the unused port MUST be connected to one of the other outlets and NOT capped. If he wanted to use a "toe tester" then he could connect THAT to the "tub" outlet and use a diverter spout, along with the diverter to select the shower option desired.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks