Need help with Carrier Furnace and LP connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Dcorazal

Reaction score
I connected up the wiring from the thermostat and powered up the furnace. Taped interlock switch for the front panel. After studying the wiring diagram I realized that part of the LP conversion kit there is pressure switch added to the furnace so it won't turn on with no gas pressure. I connected up my 20lb gas tank to the furnace to see if it would start and it did.

I only momentarily let the furnace run not knowing if the gas pressure from a 20 lb gas tank would have enough gas pressure (or to little) to fire the furnace.

Question: For testing purposes-- can I run the furnace on a 20lb tank? Should I have a regulator on it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think (but am not sure) that you can or maybe already have damaged things in the furnace without having a pressure regulator in line. Now, the furnace itself may have a secondary one and you may be lucky. Typically, there's a regulator on the LP tank before it feeds anything. WIth a bare 20# tank, that is missing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks