Gas line - Converting from dryer to range

Users who are viewing this thread

Spaceball1

Reaction score
Next up on my remodel..

Our townhome was set up for an electric range and gas dryer. I'm swapping the two.

The main gas supply comes in on a 1/2" line to the utility room where the regulator is. The regulator feeds an iron pipe manifold. From that manifold, there are 1/2" soft copper lines to the furnace & water heater. There's another 3/4" thin wall copper branch that was used to feed the dryer. All of this is in very close proximity. On the 3/4" dryer line, the threaded adapter fittings are all soldered to the copper pipe.

On the water supply lines that I've sweated, I've apparently been doing ok since I haven't had any leaks yet. In order to reroute the 3/4" line up to the kitchen, I have to do a slight re-bend, then add a coupling, then a 90 and a threaded adapter.

Here's my question.. Can I just sweat the fittings on this gas line like I did my water lines? I have pulled a city permit, so this will be inspected. The instructions for the gas range that I've picked say that a 3/4" rigid supply line is required, so I don't know that any sort of corrugated or flexible line would work (unless there's some kind of flexible line that's considered as an equivalent?)

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Ok, I did some more research, and it seems like flared fittings are probably the way to go.. If that's the case, then it might be that my only option is to have a pro make up the fittings for me.. Still interested in comments..

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are NOT qualified to work with ANY corrugated gas piping, and if the copper gas lines are "soldered" they MUST be removed and replaced with "brazed" copper fittings. Flared fittings will work for gas, but then you have to use "soft" copper, you CANNOT flare rigid/hard copper. I think your gas renovation has moved out of the DIY classification. The "regulator"" might also be improperly installed if it was designed for an atmospheric vent and you do not have one.

Last edited:

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
"The "regulator"" might also be improperly installed if it was designed for an atmospheric vent and you do not have one. "

my grandmother's place has a similar setup, with the meter and regulator in the basement. The room (bedroom) they have it located in always smelled like gas.. must have had this same setup on it with a regulator with a vent to discharge outside.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The corrugate pipe...brand names such as Wardflex and Gastite.....require special tools, special training for installers, and have special grounding requirements.
Copper gas tubing must be brazed..not soft solder. Adding a lot of fittings adds a lot of potential leak points.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, where should folks without a gas fitters license play with gas pipeing?

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Ok, where should folks without a gas fitters license play with gas pipeing?

In this part of California (Santa Clara), it is legal for a homeowner to work on gas piping (with proper permits, of course). Whether or not it is a good idea, is another issue. "Should" is not a word I would use in this case. "Shouldn't" is the word for DIY corrugated and/or torches around gas.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; where should folks without a gas fitters license play with gas pipeing?

"Can" would be a better word than should. Hopefully it is in an area that has a fire department with rapid response times.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
quote; where should folks without a gas fitters license play with gas pipeing?

"Can" would be a better word than should. Hopefully it is in an area that has a fire department with rapid response times.

Faster than an exploding house. I used to know a plumber who used to check for gas leaks with a match; honest! he is no longer alive, but not dead from explosions. He did burn the hair off his face a few times though. I guess he never had any soapy water around but he was a big smoker. Actually he was working with propane when it happened. He had hooked up the bottles for a friend who had just bought a hot dog truck and did him a favor. was funny but not funny if you know what I mean.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
35 years ago the gas company guys all checked for leaks with a match. Times change I guess. Probably for the better in this case.

HJ, I liked that comment :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
We were working in a motel which had the old "Panel Ray" propane heaters. After the gas was turned back on the guys were going into the rooms to light the pilots. I went past a room just as the journeyman started to go into it. I told him, "STOP". He did and asked why? I lit a match and tossed it into the room and the vapor burned off with a flash. I told him, "That's why. The pilot's safery switch is not working."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks