What is the ~purpose~ of laundry boxes......

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
Okay. I currently have 2 small profile valves right behind my laundry machine almost near the height if the machine itself. Easy to turn off as they are 1/4 turn ball valves. Not exposed but ~easy accessiable~. Next to it is a huge cast iron sink that is my laundry sink - that I loop the hose into to drain.

I've been looking at laundry boxes.....and am curious. The only time I would turn the valve off would be if I went on vacation.
For those with laundry boxes, aside from it serving as a consolidation point for your washing machine, do you guys turn the valve on/ off each time you use it.

I need to redo the entire basement so tackling this if I was ....is best done now.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I turn mine on/off each time I use the WM. Those designed for a WM, often have a single lever to get both at the same time. You do not need a box.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It seems to me the box may be a nice thing to use if your laundry area was in or close to your living area. In a basement where looks may not be quite as important, they serve not useful purpose. Years ago I bought one for my basement laundry area. I use it, but it is just attach to the cement wall. Probably a waste of money, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I use the single lever shut off, but we really don't turn the water off very often. I suppose after a hose blows we may regret it, but since there is a floor drain directly in front of the washer, it isn't likely to cause too much damage. (I hope)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
After 11 years, I turned my washing machine valves off last year when I got a new machine. Otherwise they stay on all the time. That was with a low top loader and the valves were accessible if I had wanted to use them. With the new front load machines on pedestals, the standard WM box and valves are usually inaccessible for constant on/off operation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks