Ok to put slight bend in 1/2" hard copper pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spaceball1

Reaction score
I'm installing a new 1/2" hard copper (blue) line from my utility room to supply water to my fridge.

Since I'm new at soldering copper, I wanted to figure out a route that would minimize soldered joints inside walls & ceilings. I found a solution that puts a single 45 degree soldered joint that will be accessible in the future (near a bathroom vent/light)

Here's the thing.. I'm not expecting the 45 degree angle to put me exactly in the location where I'm tapping in to the main supply line. I think it will be close - like 3"-6" - but not exact. So would it be ok for me to gently bend a 4-ish foot length of pipe by enough to make this work?

I know that you aren't supposed to bend hard copper to make tight corners, but the radius I'm looking at is probably like 40' or more. More of a 'curve' than a 'bend'..

EDIT: Just to clarify, this new line is from the supply (downstream of water softener) to a new recessed box w/valve in the wall behind the fridge. This is NOT the line from the wall to the fridge.

Here's a quick sketch to show what I'm talking about..

bend.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you solder an elbow to the pipe you want to bend pointed down, then solder a street elbow into in the line you want, you will not have to bend a pipe. I'd solder the street elbow onto the pipe going to the main supply first. This will make it easier to get the correct line before finalizing the elbow/street elbow connection.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Glad you solved your problem. My solution is usually referred to as a "swing pipe". Very useful when working with PVC irrigation lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks