(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Changing Shower/Tub Faucet

Question Changing Shower/Tub Faucet

My house was built in 1975 and has a one piece tub/shower surround(fiberglass, I think). The tub stretches wall to wall across the back of the bathroom. The current faucet is a washer type, and leaks quite often. I have changed the faucet stems, washers and seats, but within a few months it starts leaking again. What I would like to do is change the faucet to a washerless type. The problem is getting to the faucet. The head of the tub abutts the kitchen, and I would have to take out the kitchen cabinets to cut through from there. Does anyone know of a way I can cut through the fiberglass, replace the faucet, and then repair the fiberglass? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm at my wits end.

1. An overhaul on a faucet stem should not leak within " a few months" if you do it right. Use just a dab of dope or teflon tape on seat thread. Get monel seats. Use blue or red washers, rather than black.

2. Having said all that, if this is a 2 or 3 handle Price Pfister, most models you can remove the seats and leave them out. Then, replace the entire stem with ceramic disc versions. You should get a "remodel kit" which has stems and the proper trim pieces to fit.

They do make a large cover plate for doing that conversion. They allow you to cut enough of the wall to do just what your wanting to do. These are used primarily in rental conversions and are not good looking in my opinion.

Default faucet

One question. What is the make of faucet? Come back with the correct answer and the changeover could be almost painless.

Default faucet

I see three images, Price Pfister, Sayco, and Sterling.
    Probably wrong.
    Like the man says, get a name and those parts should be available to you.