Is this important in a sink strainer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Minni

Reaction score
Is it important to have either a "tall nut" or "locking tall nut" in a sink strainer's body?

These terms weren't listed in the online plumbing dictionary.

Thank you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
These refer to methods by which a particular strainer is attached into the sink. Each manufacturer may have several different styles. You do not need to concern about these details. Choose a strainer based on quality of materials, finish, type of basket, and cost.

Cab Calloway sends.....

Minni

Reaction score
jimbo, which of the below strainers do you think would be the easiest to clean out bits of debris such as tiny salad leafs? Unfortunately, I know that debris tends to get caught between the circumferance of the basket & the strainer body (except for the "old-fashioned" ones with drop posts - as if I need any stopper-plugs altogether!)

But even among the ones that have stick posts, which of the below do you think would be most trouble free? And if any of them come with tall nuts or locking nuts for an added price, would you recommend those over the ones without same?

BTW, what I'd really prefer most might be something like this except in stainless steel, and without the stopper-part, but only if I could be sure that it stays in place via a non-skid underpart:

P.S. Speak of "spin & grin" I'd like to tell Garvin that my head is certainly spinning, and I'm surely not grinning! Since their product descriptions are clear as mud...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
strainers

If there is any reference to "tall nuts" or "tail nuts" it is strictly advertising hype. Any one of the listed drains will work, but if you do not need a basket than a "perforated flat strainer" might be what you are looking for. The Spin-N-Grin has a basket that spins/screws into the body for a positive seal. They were originally designed for use in boats where a post strainer could be popped out during rough seas and allow water into the boat.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is a difficult item to purchase from someplace where you cannot 'reach out and touch it'. I would say that if you stay away from very inexpensive ones, then you will get a unit which operates smoothly and fully seals the basket when you want to fill the sink. In a cheaper unit, these will be the two complaints. In a chrome finish, expect to pay $15 to $50 dollars. The most expensive ones will be very heavy cast brass with very heavy and highly polished chrome finish. I would avoid any of the units under $12, although their stainless steel construction will be long lasting. For heavens sake don'tbuy one that is all plastic.

The newer finishes ( satin nickel, polished brass, rubbed bronze, etc. ) can add considerably to the price. I always avoid white or almond, as these are enameled finishes and will NOT LAST.

The business about the nuts is underneath the sink. Forget about it.

Minni

Reaction score
Thank you both!

I have some followups:

First of all, hj, I browsed for perforated strainers, and came across the following which warns that they clog rapidly.

BTW, were you talking about those strainers that are found on standard bath tubs? If so, where are they available?

jimbo, the white pop-in strainer URL is just the basket, isn't it? So why does it matter if it's white, if it isn't the actual body? I'm not saying that metal isn't better even in a basket, but it's not as if it's the actual strainer - just the basket part.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, that link you posted about strainers has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with kitchens or anything in your house for that matter. You are making this WAY TOO HARD!

Yes, the white strainer you showed is just an accessory to keep things out of the disposal when you use that sink a lot for 'regular' kitchen use. They are pop-in, plastic,very inexpensive, and easily replaced. I use one myself.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
strainer

That refers to an "inline" stainer, and is compared to a "Y" strainer which has a much larger surface area. It has nothing to do with a sink strainer. It is similar to an older tub drain, but not the same since it has larger openings and is a greater diameter.

Minni

Reaction score
So where does one find perforated strainers (or in-line strainers) or whatever they're called?
(complete with metal strainer body - not just the strainer)

And what do they cost?

Also, if it says "all stainless steel body" or "chrome on brass" is one any better than the other? If so, why?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Forget about perforated, forget about inline, forget about nuts. This is all nuts. We are talking about a "kitchen sink basket strainer". That's it. You can buy them at any hardware, box store, Walmart, Depot, Lowes, etc. Or from many internet sources.

Some of these are made of stamped stainless steel. If you buy a good quality one, it should last FOREVER. The ones which are cast brass will tend to be heavier, not necessarily better just for that reason. However, chrome can be polished to a much shinier almost mirror finish. Stainless will look good just not as shiny. Also a brass one can have a polished brass or satin nickel look as well.

The stainless steel versions run $5 to $15. The cast brass will run $15 to $50. You get to decide.

Minni

Reaction score
jimbo said:
Some of these are made of stamped stainless steel. If you buy a good quality one, it should last FOREVER. The ones which are cast brass will tend to be heavier, not necessarily better just for that reason. However, chrome can be polished to a much shinier almost mirror finish. Stainless will look good just not as shiny. Also a brass one can have a polished brass or satin nickel look as well.

The stainless steel versions run $5 to $15. The cast brass will run $15 to $50. You get to decide.

jimbo, thanks for the info! This was very helpful. :eek:
Y'know, it's a curiosity that (at least on Ebay) the Delta chrome single lever faucets have been quite cheaper than the same exact faucet in stainless steel. Yet seemingly paradoxically, chrome strainers cost more than stainless steel strainers.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That's a good observation about the stainless. In the case of faucet finishes, chrome is equivalent to white refrigerators. They sell probably 100 times more of those colors than all other finishes put together, so it's just the good old supply and demand equation at work!

Just a personal note: I wonder if all the people who are leaping on the Satin Nickel bandwagon are the same people who still have avocado washing machines and pink toilets!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some faucets are a stainless steel look, but some (like one I bought) are solid cast/machined stainless. Those that just look like stainless are cheaper. You can't cover up a solid stainless steel finishing glitch, since you are not plating on a layer - it's all hanging out. Same faucet in chrome vs stainless was about a 40% savings.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It's late, Minni, so I am missing the point. PM?

However, as hj pointed out people have built an entire house in less time than we have all spent on this sink. Now, we enjoy these forums; but just how long have you been without your kitchen sink? Are you eating only fast food?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks