Toto toilet tanks not draining when flushed - flapper issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Melissa2007B

Reaction score
We have 3 Toto 744SL ADA toilets in this house, which were highly recommended here, at the time we built it around 2004-2005.

We had a rooter guy here last week, snaking a comb out of one of the toilets, and he noticed that the tank wasn't draining all the way, each time it was flushed, and suggested replacing the flapper. He said it should float up until the tank completely drains. The house is only 6 years old but it sounded right, so I went to Ace and got a replacement flapper and swapped it. It still does the same thing. The replacement has "Toto" molded into it.

So I emailed Toto and they just said:

"That is correct, the entire tank SHOULD NOT empty out, only half. The toilet is
operating the way it should. If you hold down the trip lever, the consumption of
the toilet is no longer 1.6GPF."

Huh?

Isn't it "conventional wisdom" ( the rooter guy knew this ) that the full capacity of the tank should empty when it's flushed?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your rooter guy is not a plumber. He snakes drains perhaps, but it doesn't make him knowledgeable as a plumber.
All toilets since 1992 use 1.6 gallons or less.

That is the conventional knowledge.
Tanks haven't fully drained now for 19 years.

If you have a comb in your toilet, using more water wouldn't have helped. Combs are for fixing your hair. Keep the comb out of the bowl, and you should be fine.

Last edited:

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
So I emailed Toto and they just said:

"That is correct, the entire tank SHOULD NOT empty out, only half. The toilet is
operating the way it should. If you hold down the trip lever, the consumption of
the toilet is no longer 1.6GPF."

This is how they work. Most toilets that I have seen lately work the same way. They need the height of the water to get the full flush but do not need all of the water which is how it saves water from each flush.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks