Install new sump pump basin

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphdo817

Reaction score
I have a house that has a sump pump basin with French drains leading to it already. I don’t get much water but when it rains heavily I do get some seepage from my foundation walls. My foundation walls are pre-formed slabs and joined together with a sealant (not sure what type). The weak points of my foundation are where the walls are joined together.

I was thinking about making another sump pump basin to drain more water away from my foundation. My plan was to jack hammer out a hole in my basement floor opposite where my current sump pump is and drop in a sump pump basin and install another sump pump. I’m not a plumber but I think I am capable of doing a job like this. I had a few questions and if you guys/gals could give me advice I would surely appreciate it. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a major risk of cracking the foundation walls by jackhammering the hole through the floor of the basement? Also, is there a risk of weakening the foundation for the house by making this hole?

2. Will there be a significant benefit to making another sump pump basin?

3. Any tips for making this project go easier? Making the PVC connections are fairly easy, my only real concern is making the hole in the ground.

4. Am I crazy for attempting something like this? I’ve finished my basement by myself (with decent success) and I do most of my home repairs myself.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Clydesdale

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a weeping tile problem. Why put in a second sump; is the one you have there not keeping up with the pumpage?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
How well it will work is largely dependent on what is under the slab and how easily the water can move from one place to another. I've seen basins as simple as a 5 gallon bucket full of holes set in the ground. I wouldn't recommend it though as it is not enough volume to keep the pump from short cycling.

Done properly, you can put a hole in the floor without any risk of causing damage. I would suggest cutting the concrete rather than jack-hammering it to reduce the chance of any undesired cracking outside the dig area. Stay at least 12" inside the wall to avoid any existing drain tile and the wall footing.

Once you get the concrete out, scoop the rock base into a pile as you may re-used some or all of it. A trenching shovel and post-hole digger works pretty good for digging the hole. The hole should be big enough to allow 8-12" of stone or pea gravel to be backfilled around the circumference of the basin. Line the hole with geotextile filter fabric before backfilling to help keep the fines seperated from the stone. Backfill carefully, pack it in tight and leave 3-4" space at the top for the new concrete around the basin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks